HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting Minutes
January 13, 2022, 2:00 pm
Zoom Virtual Meeting
- Call to Order 2:09 pm. John Bravender, Tom Collins, Ethan Creps, Cliff Inn, Neil Kanemoto, Jason Kohl, David Lee, Teri Leicher, Mac MacDonald, Bill Marhoffer, Gabe Nelson, Don Orrantia, Hadley Owen, Ely Spivack, Susan Yamamoto, and MST1 Blacklaw were in attendance virtually.
- Introduction of guests.
- Treasurer’s Report:
- Neil reported that the HOST account retained its balance after the Christmas party due to donations from FOSS, Sause, and the Hawaii Pilots.
- After depositing the donation checks, Neil will report the current balance of the HOST account at the February meeting.
- Old Business:
- Kahului Commercial/Recreational Safety Subcommittee update. Ethan Creps introduced Mr. Ely Spivack, who is a waterman and is acting as a representative of the wing foiling community in Kahului Harbor. Ely has been an outstanding advocate and on-the-ground resource to the subcommittee, which seeks to deconflict the commercial traffic and recreational users of the Kahului waterfront area. The subcommittee is scheduled to meet on Jan 20th and will discuss solutions to the problems extant in the multi-user waterway, including signage, education, and agreements between users.
- State recognition: Ethan has presented draft legislation to Senator Chris Lee and Representative Henry Acquino (Transportation Chairs of their respective bodies). The aim is to have the bill ready for submission at the next legislative session. PO Blacklaw and Shane Prather will be added to the meeting invite.
- “If Found” Sticker update: A summary of the program was presented to those hearing about it for the first time. It was asked whether the stickers will be UV-shielded (they will), and if the Coast Guard has expressed buy-in for the program (yes). The first 1000 stickers are currently in production and are expected before next meeting. Gabe, Tom Eloph, and Susan are currently preparing promotional displays for the program. Neil recommended the subcommittee work with a DLNR contact when introducing/promoting the stickers to retailers on the island. Ely Spivack volunteered to assist with distribution on Maui.
- Honolulu Harbor Festival/Maritime Week 2022. A meeting was held on Jan 14th to dial in a proposed scope, dates, and location for the festival. This scope will be fleshed out in more detail and presented at the next HOST Advisory Board Meeting.
- Here are the 2022 HOST meeting dates:
- Jan 13 Advisory Board
- Feb 10 Advisory Board
- Mar 10 Advisory Board Mar 17 General Membership
- Apr 14 Advisory Board
- May 12 Advisory Board
- Jun 9 Advisory Board Jun 16 General Membership
- Jul 14 Advisory Board
- Aug 11 Advisory Board
- Sep 8 Advisory Board Sep 15 General Membership
- Oct 13 Advisory Board
- Nov 10 Advisory Board
- USCG Concerns:
- Bill Marhoffer reported that:
- The District Response Advisory Team has loaned boom to the Navy to assist with the Red Hill cleanup.
- Due to heavy involvement with the Red Hill project by both the State and the Navy, a scaled-down PREP exercise will be held in Pearl Harbor this spring.
- PO Blacklaw reported that Coast Guard Station Maui personnel would be conducting dock walks at the boat ramps nearest the Jaws Big Wave Championships to advise boaters to stay well clear of the contest area and associated hazards.
- Bill Marhoffer reported that:
- State of Hawaii Concerns: Peter Pillone remains away, but despite understaffing at the Division, we appreciate David Lee’s representation.
- City and County Concerns (Ocean Safety Division): Jason Kohl reported that:
- The large class of lifeguard recruits has just passed their physical assessment and will be undergoing a second round of physical tests & training with the goal of having them at the beaches by summer 2022.
- He attended a meeting at the Joint Traffic Management Center regarding the marine animal response team. This is the 911 center for the marine animal response hotline (888) 256-9840.
- Coast Guard Auxiliary Concerns: CG Aux personnel asked questions about the If Found Sticker project.
- NOAA Concerns:
- LCDR Hadey Owen, who is Crescent Moegling’s replacement announced that the upcoming HSRP meeting originally planned to be in-person in Hawaii will be held virtually on March 9th and 10th. Register here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4379173811123072784
- John Bravender shared a final bulletin from JTWC regarding Tropical Cyclone Cody.
- Hawaii Pilots Concerns: None.
- Announcements: More info to follow on HOST Christmas party, which will need to conform to C&C guidelines on gatherings. Please consider making gift donations for the raffle!
- Next Meeting: Advisory Board February 10th, 2022.
- Adjourn 3:00 pm.