HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting
October 13, 2011 (3:00 pm)
Hawaii Yacht Club
Tom Collins Warren B. Ditch Jr. Clifford Inn
CDR Jason Neubauer Brad Rimell LT Kyle Ryan
Arlen Walsten Anne Stevens Chris Woolaway
Roland Zwicky Scott Whaley Darren Bullock
Sparkie Ewing Robin Bond
- The meeting was called to order at 1500 (3:00 pm) by Robin Bond. A quorum was present.
- Approval of the Minutes of last meeting. No minutes were available.
- Treasurer’s Report – Chris Woolaway reported that HOST has $2,147.03 in the bank and that we have a deposit from Schnitzer for the 920 pounds of metal recovered in the Slipper Island “Get The Drift & Bag It” cleanup.
- Topics for the October 20 HOST Membership Meeting
a. Kim suggested that he could give an update on Marine Salvage and Fire Fighting Regulations. The USCG said that they could help.
b. Brad Rimell suggested that he could present an update on Subchapter M updates that relate to the tug boat community.
c. Sparkie suggested that the next meeting will be three weeks prior to
APEC. An update on the latest APEC impacts would be appropriate.
d. Anne suggested that PASHA can make a presentation on their new roll off ship.
e. Joyce Miller can give a presentation on the NOAA mapping of Kaneohe Bay.
- Pending HOST Safety Issues
a. Flare disposal project – Chris reported on the project. Anne will follow up with the bomb squad for the storage box and Arlen will check to see if this is what POP needs.
- Continuing HOST Business
a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris reported on the Falls of Clyde on plans to protect the mooring lines from the vandalism. .
b. 2011 Hawaii Fishing & Seafood Festival – October 9, 2011 HOST Participation. Robin reported on the festival and thanked those that participated. The festival was well attended (about 25,000 people) and the treasure hunt seems like a good addition.
- New Business
a. Robin and Brad trip to West Coast Harbor Safety Committee Summit. The summit will be on October 25 and 26th in Monterey. They both felt that this should be an important effort to improve communications among the Harbor Safety Committees. Both Brad and Robin have been trying to accomplish this for some time. Brad will be returning right after the Summit. Robin returns on November 3.
b. HOST Christmas Party – December 8, 2011. The Board approved $600 for the food. Robin and Bob will finalize with the HYC. Robin put out a call for grab bag gifts.
- USCG Concerns. Capt. Nunan expressed the concerns regarding parasailing accidents. There was further discussion about HOST’s role and formation of a subcommittee with the USCG as the lead with the five parasailing companies. The Dive SOP could be a model for a parasailing SOP. Evidentially there was a near miss with a tug and barge. Brad will follow up.
Dive Flag Issues were discussed, as there have been incidents of boaters hitting divers and the flags. Divers are diving further off shore where they are even less visible. There needs to be better public awareness.
- State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR) Cliff Inn discussed the DOBOR outreach on the diver/boater safety for 2012. The focus is on boater and diver responsibility for safety. The State is looking for mandatory education classes. Cliff is also working on a dive flag matrix in different languages. The State is also looking into three dimensional flags and streamers and they are anxious for divers input. HOST can put together a wish list and submit for possible funding. If HOST membership has suggestions please let Robin know.
- Coast Guard Auxiliary and Power Squadron Issues. Flares were discussed. The Squadron announced that one of the three “Coasties” will be going to American Samoa.
- NOAA Issues. Harbor verification for Lahaina and Barbers Point was discussed along with shoreline erosion.
- Announcements: The STS Pallada results were discussed as well as the Slipper Island Cleanup for the ICC (“Get The Drift & Bag It”). Many thanks to Architects Hawaii LTD, Clean Islands Council, Keehi Marine Center, Matson’s Ka Ipu’ Aina (Container for the Land)Program & Schnitzer Steel Hawaii Corp for the big assist!
- Next Meetings: AdvisoryBoard Meeting: November 17, 2011
Membership Meeting: October 20, 2011
- Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)