HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting
March 11, 2010 (3:00 pm)
Hawaii Yacht Club
Warren B. Ditch., Jr. LCDR Marcella Granquist Terry Rice
Brad Rimell Douglas Smith Anne Stevens
Randy Swindell Chris Woolaway Robin Bond
1. The meeting was called to order (3:00 pm) by Robin Bond
2. Approval of the Minutes of last meeting. No Quorum present
3. Treasurer’s Report – Chris reported $2,882.28 is in the checking account.
4. Critique of the February 18, 2010 General Membership Meeting: the Board felt that the meeting went well there was more discussion on HOST’s potential role as additional eyes on the water to assist with whale entanglement sightings.
5. Topics for the April 15 HOST Membership Meeting
a. Ala Wai Marine update – Doug Smith
b. Update on Falls of Clyde
Review February’s suggested topics
6. Pending HOST Safety Issues
a. Flare disposal project – Chris reported that we haven’t heard from H-Power and Cliff was due to report on the funding for the equipment.
b. Alpha dive flags on dive boats – Neil – nothing new
7. Old Business
a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris.
b. Update Advisory Board. Domestic and Foreign shipping industries. Ocean Recreation/Recreational Boaters improvement – Discussion about possible representatives suggestions were approach NCL, Chevron Horizon and Bob Lamb at Matson.
c. Need to review and update SOPs -The decision was to take 3 SOP’s per Board meeting – Robin will get those out ahead of the meeting.
d. 2010 Hawaii Ocean Expo (Feb. 27 – 28) – HOST shared a booth and there was interest. The State is willing to help underwrite the booth costs next year.
8. New Business
a. Tsunami Reports – Hot wash meeting – Concern was expressed about the interactions between recreational and commercial vessels, the suggestion put forth is to have designated areas for vessels under tow.
b. Koko Marina Boating Fun Fest – Saturday, May 15 (9am – 3pm)
9. USCG Concerns-The issue of safety boats for races was brought up. The CG and DOBOR are looking into concerns about the Marine events. There are 450 events scheduled statewide and requirements for events are being reviewed. CG asked if anyone is having problems with the events in the channels. HOST offered to help with a process to get input.
10. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR): No concerns expressed – Robin thanked Boating for helping with printing the brochures. Doug said he would check on the parking problem for HOST Board meetings and he would get back to us.
11. Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues: None
12. NOAA Issues: None
13. Power Squadron Issues: None
14. Announcements: Chris mentioned the Great American Cleanup going on here and across the US from March 1, 2010 through May 31,2010. There are a number of community cleanups and beautification projects scheduled. Keep America Beautiful organizes this effort for the U.S.
15. Next Meetings: AdvisoryBoard Meeting: April 8, 2010
Membership Meeting: April 15, 2010
16. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)