HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting
July 8, 2010 (3:00 pm)
Hawaii Yacht Club
Oy Branum LCDR Marcella Granquist
Robin Bond LCDR Jeff Taylor
Bob Heidrich Chris Woolaway
Anne Stevens Brad Rimell
Mark Winslow LT. Kyle Ryan
1. Call to Order (3:00 pm) Lt. Kyle Ryan was introduced as he will be taking over for Jeff Taylor.
2. Approval of the Minutes of last meeting was deferred. There was not a quorum.
3. Treasurer’s Report – Chris Woolaway reported that we have $2,865.01 in the checking account. Chris was asked to follow up on the non profit State Attorney General Registration and GET requirements.
4. Topics for the August 26 HOST Membership Meeting
– Hurricane/Tsunami evacuation issues – Panel of USCG, DLNR, DOT, Pilots, Tugs, etc.
– New Tsunami Evacuation Plan Maps
-Introduction of New COTP
5. Pending HOST Safety Issues
a. Flare disposal project – Chris Woolaway gave an update on the Subcommittee meeting held on 07/06/2010. Cliff presented the information on, Reactive Explosive Materials Training Corp. They have a portable incinerator that is being reviewed for application here. Research needs to be done on:
a. who is going to take care of it,
b. who is going to run it,
c. what kind of permitting is needed,
d. what happens to the ash?
Roger Stone also discussed other options collaborating with the military. Cliff discussed possible State support for contractor to handle the equipment. Amnesty Day was also discussed as a way to recover used flares, there was an agreement that initially there would be a need for disposal of a great many flares as there has been stockpiling. Cliff agreed to talk further to the Department of Health and EPA on what permitting would be necessary. Chris agreed to talk to Penco.
b. Alpha dive flags on dive boats – Neil not in attendance and there was not a report.
6. Old Business
a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris didn’t have any new information on safety measures however the Friends of Falls of Clyde have received the Pfeiffer funds.
b. Update Advisory Board. Domestic and Foreign shipping industries. There was a lot of discussion on filling the gaps on the Board and to expand/update our mailing list to include Safety officers of the companies as well. Brad, Robin and Chris will work on this. Anne Stevens announced that she left Hawaii State Civil Defense and has set up a new shipping agent business.
7. HOST SOPs – Update – No activity on this issue.
8. New Business
a. Hawaii Fishing & Seafood Festival – October 10, 2010
b. Harrison Kuranishi-Dept. of Labor-Robin updated the Board on his discussion with Harrison on this program that works with folks collecting unemployment.
9. USCG Concerns
Marcella mentioned the upcoming filming at Barbers Point and Kaneohe Bay and the safety zones that will be set up.
10. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR) No State representative present.
11. Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues: None
12. NOAA Issues: Jeff Taylor reported that he will be on Kauai for two weeks gathering data for the Coast Pilot.
13. Power Squadron Issues: No issues
14. Announcements: None
15. Next Meetings: Advisory Board Meeting: August 12, 2010
Membership Meeting: August 26, 2010
16. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)