HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting
December 13, 2012 (4:00 pm)
Hawaii Yacht Club
Darren Bullock Tom Collins Richard Davison
Sparkie Ewing Alan Hong CDR Glenn Martineau
Steve Morita Brad Rimell Annie Stevens
Arlen Walsten Naomi Wasano Chris Woolaway
Roland Zwicky Michael MacDonald Ross McDonald
Bob Lamb Robin Bond
1. Call to Order 1600 (4:00 pm) The meeting was called to order by Robin Bond
2. Treasurer’s Report – Chris Woolaway reported that we have $2,198.10. We expended $517.97 for food, $100.00 for the use of the Club, and a refundable cleaning deposit of $50.00. We have received $1,050 donations.
3. Appointment of Dr. Bob Overlock to the Advisory Board to represent the island of Kauai-Robin submitted and the Board approved.
4. Topics for the February 21, 2013 HOST Membership Meeting
a. Invasive species – ballast water, marine debris, etc.
b. Liquid Robotics-Glenn will contact
c. Deep Sea Air Conditioning-Chris will contact
d. Tsunami-Bob Harter-Bull will contact
5. Completed HOST Safety Issues
6. Continuing HOST Business
a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris: Falls of Clyde 134th Birthday officially yesterday 12/12/2012, her party is Saturday, December 15th HOST folks are welcome.
b. Marine debris from the Japan tsunami-Chris: More debris reported now on Midway. I received a report from Alaska that they have experienced a large influx of logs in October and November much more than they normally receive.
c. Update of Lahaina Tendering Video –No report
d. Share the Ocean – No report
e. Keehi Lagoon range marker update – Chris and Brad: Anne suggested letters of support from HOST to DOT-Harbors. We will draft a letter and so will Brad.
f. SOP 3-97 Tugboat Assistance in Oahu’s Neighbor Island Ports- Tom has not scheduled the sub committee meeting yet.
g. Alfa Dive Flags and Night diving vessel lights-No report
h. DLNR budget for administrative costs, travel and parking: No decision from DOBOR
7. New Business-Robin: The Conference Harbor Summit has been delayed because of budgets in California.
8. USCG Concerns-The Honolulu Harbor entrance has been breached. The security sign is being replaced.
9. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR)-Anne DOT Harbors there is a tour helicopter flying low over the harbor. DOT is talking to the FAA.
10. Coast Guard Auxiliary and Power Squadron Issues-Question about what boaters should do when encountering whales.
11. NOAA Issues: None at this time
12. Announcements: Public forum Dec. 18th on Maui on the Humpback Whale Sanctuary
13. PARTY TIME!
14. Next Meetings: AdvisoryBoard Meeting: January 10, 2013 (3:00 pm)
Membership Meeting: February 21, 2013 (2:00)
15. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)