HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting Minutes
May 13, 2021, 2:00 pm
Zoom Virtual Meeting
- Call to Order 2:04 pm. Robin Bond, Ed Enos, Mac MacDonald, Gabe Nelson, Alan Hong, Mik Roer, Erika Janzen, Mimi Cleary, Michael Anderson, John Titchen, Kari Benes, Teri Leicher, and John Bravender were in attendance virtually.
- Treasurer’s Report:
- Account balance: $6,850.00.
- Expenses $167 for DCCA certificate and Zoom Account.
- Old Business:
- “If Found” sticker update: Gabe sat through a demo of Runjob’s software & learned how the existing Software could be used to manage QR codes associated with the “If Found” Stickers. Next meeting will have a demo ready for HOST Advisory Board.
- State recognition. No update.
- Honolulu Harbor Festival/Maritime Week 2022. Begun long-range planning. Email email@example.com if you are interested in participating.
- New Business:
- The idea was floated to get the Pier 51/52 crane best practices document entered into HOST SOP. Gabe will prepare a draft SOP for review at next meeting.
- Proposed topics for June General Membership Meeting:
- John Bravender offered to present the hurricane season outlook and a recap of last season.
- USCG Concerns:
- PO Blacklaw requested more information related to the Honolulu Harbor Festival.
- Erika Janzen mentioned that a fifth and final MSIB extending MMC licensing deadlines has been issued. Licenses expiring between Mar 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021 will be extended through Oct 31st, 2021, but no further.
- Bill Marhoffer reported on a series of exercises over last couple of weeks on Oahu and the neighbor islands related to port resilience & disaster recovery. The exercises involved a variety of organizations including HIEMA, DOT-H, USCG and USACE. These exercises explored contingencies and recovery following a blockage in the main shipping channels of the various commercial ports. Another internally focused alternate port exercise in Pearl Harbor is upcoming.
- State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors & DLNR): None.
- City and County Concerns (Ocean Safety Division): John Titchen reported a recent & very successful SAR exercise & mentioned presenting on it in the future. Gabe will follow up with John about the possibility of presenting at the June General Membership Meeting.
- Coast Guard Auxiliary/Power Squadron Concerns: None.
- NOAA Concerns: The Central Pacific Hurricane Season outlook will be presented virtually on May 19th.
- Hawaii Pilots Concerns: Pride of America’s anchor still at anchor at Anchorage Charlie.
- Teri Leicher raised a concern about her company’s vessel’s being boarded twice recently. She has been connected with Coast Guard contact information in order to document her concern.
- The UH Hyperbaric chamber will be down for maintenance June 28th until end of August 2021.
- Christine Woolaway is in the hospital and not doing well.
- Next Meeting: Advisory Board June 10th, 2021.
General Membership Meeting June 17th, 2021.
- Adjourn 3:00 pm.