Advisory Board Meeting
Hawaii Yacht Club
December 13, 2007
LTJG Quincey Adams Randy Swindell
John Regan Kimo Corstorphine
Robin Bond Bill Mossman
Warren B. Ditch Jr. Mike Jones
Brad Rimell LT. Jasmin Parker
Bill Davis Anne Stevens
John Thielst Kim Beasley
Arlen Walsten Neil Kanemoto
Chris Woolaway Capt. Barry Compagnoni
Robin Bond introduced the new Captain of the Port, Capt. Barry Compagnoni. His official change of command will be as of December 20, 2007. Most recently he has been Deputy Sector Commander in Sector Mobile, Alabama. Welcome to everyone and Merry Christmas.
AGENDA ITEM #1 Call to Order
Robin called the meeting to order. A quorum was present.
AGENDA ITEM #2 Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.
A quorum is present. Minutes for the last meeting are not yet available for review.
AGENDA ITEM #3 Treasurer’s Report
Chris Woolaway reported that we currently have $3,634.25. This is after a $500. donation from the Pilots Association, $200 from Rick Shema and a $400. donation from the Propeller Club. There were no expenditures this month. There will be expenses for the Christmas Party. Robin acknowledged Sause Brothers for donating the meat for the Party, and the Clean Islands Council for donating the Chinese food.
AGENDA ITEM #4 Next Membership Meeting Topics
● Discussion on a possible report on the Super Ferry service delays and expected start up was mentioned.
● Discussion on whether there was sufficient USCG news to recap the 2007 Marine Safety Program. The USCG said they could put something together if there was interest.
● Also mentioned as a possible topic was an update on the TWIC program now that it is rolling out.
● The parking changes at the Ala Wai Boat Harbor are of interest to many people. DOBOR is revising the regulations. There will be a public presentation of the new regulations at Jefferson Elementary School on December 19, 2007 at 6:00 pm. More meetings will be planned. Parking in the Heliport area won’t change but cars will be towed after 10:00 pm. The Cars will be towed to Haleiwa as that company was the low bid.
Also mentioned as a possible presentation would be an informational presentation on Harbor improvements. New piers are being opened in the Ala Wai and further improvements are planned at other harbors as well. Keehi Lagoon will see new piers in the near future.
AGENDA ITEM #5 Pending HOST Safety Issues
● SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Ships visiting Offshore Port Anchorages – Kim reported that he will draft a letter to Ms. Nancy Murphy stating that HOST has looked at the Multiple Cruise Ships docking at Kailua Kona and found no consensus on recommending any operational changes.
● Tug Assist SOP for the neighbor islands. Proposed rules are being drafted as of now.
● Harbor Congestion – Nothing new to report.
AGENDA ITEM #6 Old Business
● Robin discussed the current status of the Advisory Board. Some members have not been able to make time for the meetings. Two areas that may be under represented include Foreign Shipping, and Commercial businesses. Troy is currently the only one representing foreign shipping. If anyone has any suggestions of someone else to join Troy please let Robin know. Also, the only people representing Fishing interests are Randy Cates and Charlie Pires. Unfortunately the other two members have been pretty busy. Robin is going to send them a thank you letter and try to find someone else. Neil Kanemoto of Pacific Islands Fishery Group has joined the HOST Board representing the Fishing industry . Any other suggested Board members would be appreciated.
AGENDA ITEM #7 New Business
● DOBOR announced that they are currently undergoing a major “rule writing” effort to try and address some inconsistencies and fairness issues for commercial activities. One such conflict area is for “surfing” vendors in Waikiki. Vendors are paying rent ($35,000.) while other “Blue Card” vendors don’t pay rent but simply walk right through the visitors to the beach. These are the type of activities that will be addressed by this effort.
AGENDA ITEM #8 USCG Concerns
● None at this time.
AGENDA ITEM #9 – State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR)
● None at this time.
AGENDA ITEM #10 – Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues
● None at this time.
AGENDA ITEM #11 – Announcements:
● The meeting schedule for 2008 is posted on the Website.
Executive Board Meeting:
January 10th, 3:00 pm, Hawaii Yacht Club located in
the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor.
General Membership Meeting:
February 21st, 2:00 pm, Honolulu Community College Maritime Training Center.