HOST Advisory Board Meeting
October 14, 2010
Bob Heidrich Kim Beasley
Robin Bond Richard Davison
Chris Woolaway Bill Mossman
LCDR Marcella Granquist CDR Jason Neubauer
Tom Collins Anne Stevens
Lt. Kyle Ryan Ed Underwood
AGENDA ITEM #1 Call to Order
Robin called the meeting to order. A quorum was present.
AGENDA ITEM #2 Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.
Minutes for the last General Meeting were discussed for future approval.
AGENDA ITEM #3 Treasurer’s Report
Chris Woolaway reported that current funds total $2,865.01
AGENDA ITEM #4 – HOST Board Update
Rich Davison has agreed to represent Domestic Shipping. Everyone agreed. Tom Collins is taking Rich Demuth’s place with the Harbor Pilots.
AGENDA ITEM #5 HOST General Meeting Topics
• The next membership meeting will be a panel discussion to identify and hopefully clarify who and how to contact different agencies in the event of a safety or security problem during off-duty hours. Representatives from DLNR, Harbors, USCG, HPD, Ocean Safety and HFD will be among those participating.
• There will be a brief update of the Get the Drift and Bag It cleanup on Slipper Island in Keehi Lagoon.
AGENDA ITEM #6 Pending HOST Safety Issues
• Updates on Flare disposal. Kim pointed out that the method of disposal for the ammunition from the recovery project at “ammo reef” in Waianae. Maybe this could be a system and permitting process that we could piggy back on to.
• Dive flag Alpha concerns. Nothing new at this time.
• Falls of Clyde. They are bringing in a “preservationist with the park service” and he will be looking at a pre-haul out work list.
AGENDA ITEM #7 HOST Concerns
• National Association of State Boating Law Administrators
They recently held a meeting in Hawaii and Robin attended. One of the things that they are pushing for is a national boating education requirement. Another is a national approach to BUI for boaters.
• Hawaii Fishing and Seafood Festival
Pretty good attendance and HOST was there and many questions were asked.
• HOST Christmas Party
The Christmas Party will be on December 9th at the Hawaii Yacht Club. We are looking for grab bag donations. It should be fun.
AGENDA ITEM #8 USCG Concerns
• They are starting a project of reviewing commercial “tour” diving incidents that are beginning to increase.
AGENDA ITEM #9 – State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR)
• DLNR is starting to see “non-commercial” activities at Waikiki Beach and elsewhere where non-commercial vessels are doing commercial activities by not actually landing at the beach but loading and off-loading passengers three feet off the beach. They are looking in to this. This is particularly important issue for Hanalei Bay.
Another issue is that the requirement to move your vessel offshore once every three months to prevent derelict vessels. There is a lot of push back from the public on this. Current enforcement on this “inspection” is once a year. The law actually reads every 90 days. They are now starting to enforce the law. This is very unpopular. This is primarily to encourage/stimulate an active harbor that supports the fueling docks the stores and other entities necessary to support a harbor.
AGENDA ITEM #10 – Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues
• No news.
AGENDA ITEM #11 – Power Squadron Issues
• They are developing a new program for doing on water training. More information to follow.
Executive Board Meeting:
November 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm, Hawaii Yacht Club located in
the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor.
General Membership Meeting:
December 9, 2010 at 5:00 pm, Annual Christmas Party at the Hawaii Yacht Club.