HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting
November 8, 2012 (3:00 pm)
Hawaii Yacht Club
Warren B. Ditch Jr. Tom Heberle Arlen Walsten
Chris Woolaway Steve Morita Brad Rimell
Kimo Corstorphine Bob Heidrich CDR Glenn Martineau
Roland Zwicky Naomi Wasano Michael Cantin
Michael MacDonald Sparkie Ewing Darren Bullock
Cliff Inn Bob Endreson Anne Stevens
1. Call to Order 1500 (3:00 pm) The meeting was called to order by Robin. A quorum is present.
2. Treasurer’s Report – Chris Woolaway reported that there is $1,866.07 in the HOST checking account.
3. Critique of the October 18 membership meeting. Approval of the meeting minutes. The critique of the meeting was good. The minutes of the October meeting were not reviewed.
4. Topics for the February 21, 2013 HOST Membership Meeting
a. Invasive species – ballast water, marine debris, etc.
b. Antifouling Presentation by the CG (?)
c. Liquid Robotics:
d. Deep Sea Water Air Conditioning Exchange Update
e. Tsunami response plan
5. HOST Christmas Party: The cost is now $520 with a $50 cleaning deposit that can be returned. The party is to be set up downstairs.
6. Completed HOST Safety Issues
a. 2013 HOST Meeting Calendar: Approved by the Board
b. Critique of the October 27 Tsunami: Discussion about what the problems that occurred,
Ø There were not many DLNR personnel at the Ala Wai. Ke’ehi Lagoon boaters had problems. Pier I line handler problems delayed commercial ships from going out.
Ø Some of the recreational boats did not have lights
Ø Couldn’t get pass the road blocks
Ø One threatening incident with a HPD officer
Ø NOAA special alert notification to maritime businesses-It is important to have the 2 ½ hours to get their equipment out of the harbor
Ø NOAA Weather Radio
Ø NIXLE Alerts-the warning was 45 minutes late.
Ø Confusion for industry as to who calls the evacuation
Ø Who is responsible for closing the harbor needs to be cleared earlier so vessels can move.
Ø Does the CG have the EMOPs report?
Ø There needs to be a plan
Ø What happened at Ke’ehi?
7. Continuing HOST Business
a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris: The new gangway is ready to be installed as soon as a new platform is fabricated. There is a lot to be painted to arrest rust. The project to review pictures from the internal survey and create narratives to aid in repair and preservation work is moving forward. This will take us a long way toward being focused on drydock work. We will celebrated the 134th birthday of Falls of Clyde at our annual meeting on 16 December (her actual birthday was 12 December). Chris is working to find out why there has been no effort or communication from Bishop Museum on the 1902 Gold Coin from the FALLS that we have now found out that was stolen out of the Maritime Center. The stealing of artifacts from a National Historic Landmark is a federal offense.
b. Marine debris from the Japan tsunami-Chris: There has been a lot media on the incidences here in Hawaii. The yellow metal structure is still on the Big Island-no one knows what it is and there is no decision as to how to get it recovered.
c. Update of Lahaina Tendering Video-Robin: Cliff is still working on it.
d. Share the Ocean – Robin: HOST needs to come up with a concept to give to Cliff. Robin will meet with the artist.
e. Keehi Lagoon range marker update – Chris and Brad: Robin will check with the City and see what the hold up is.
8. New Business
a. SOP 3-97 Tugboat Assistance in Oahu’s Neighbor Island Ports: Tom Heberly is the Chair of the Subcommittee he will be asking those that are directly affected. CG and DOT Harbors will be represented in the Sub committee. Robin will help sending out the notices.
Bob Endreson suggested involving more of the stakeholders and having meetings in Hilo.
9. USCG Concerns: The TWIC card extension process needs four months out to complete.
10. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR); No representative, no report.
11. Coast Guard Auxiliary and Power Squadron Issues: No additional issues at this point.
12. NOAA Issues: No new issues
13. Announcements: None
14. Next Meetings: AdvisoryBoard Meeting: December 13, 2012 (4:00 pm) Christmas Party
Membership Meeting: December 13, 2012 (5:00)
15. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)