Hawaii Ocean Safety Team
Advisory Board Meeting
June 5, 2008 (3:00 pm)
Hawaii Yacht Club
Kim Beasley Robin Bond Paula Carroll
Jeff Connors Bill Davis Bob Heidrich
CDR Kathy Moore Brad Rimell Randy Swindell
1. 1500 (3:00 pm) Robin called the meeting to order. A quorum was present.
2. Approval of last Board and Membership meeting minutes was given.
3. Treasurer’s Report – Chris gave the report of $2,863.56 in the checking account, and there were no comments.
4. June 19, 2008 Membership Meeting Topics
Suggestion to have a panel to discuss various safety concerns. Give membership a chance to bring up current safety issues.
State Green Cards – Bill Davis
Review various HOST SOPs.
Marine Safety Performance Improvement Plan – USCG
NOAA Navigation Issues
National Harbor Safety Conference Highlights
5. Pending HOST Issues:
a. SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Vessel Visiting Offshore Port Anchorages – Kim – There has been no letter from Nancy in Kona.
b. Tug Assistance – Tom/Troy – No activity. It was reported that rules are being drafted.
6. Old Business
a. Flare disposal project – No activity
b. Letter to Formby and Hannemann regarding fireboat which is out of service. Robin to write.
c. Neil suggested a grant for a whale PSA.
7. New Business
a. Marine Industry Survey – Online survey about training needs in the marine industry
8. United States Coast Guard Concerns: The close calls in the Harbor channels were briefly discussed.
9. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR)
10. Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues – John Regan – Since John is ill, Ed Lott will attend meetings.
11. NOAA – Costal Survey – LT. Jeff Taylor discussed PORTS (Physical Oceanographic Real Time System)
Bill Mossman reported on ballast water.
Neil gave a note on personal water craft
Chris reported on National Oceans month
13. Next meetings: Advisory Board Meeting: July 10, 2008
Membership Meeting: June 19, 2008
14. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)