HOST Advisory Board Meeting Minutes of September 20, 2001

Subject to Board Approval

Members Present: 

Ed Araki, Robin Bond, Tom Heberle, Charlie Pires, Brad Rimell, Anne Stevens, Christine Woolaway, Roy Yee.

Members Absent:  

Randy Cates, Mike DeRego, Warren Ditch, Mike Duvall, Mike Latham, Terry O’Halloran, Pat Pettigrew, Stan Radlo, Russell Rippetoe, Barry Solywoda, Terry White.

Members Excused:

Bill Anonsen, Clarence Chong, Barbara Defranco, Sam Forbes, Susan Harper, Captain Gilbert Kanazawa, Bill Mossman, Jim Walsh, Mark Willis.


Clint Jamile, Carol She’, Parnell Walsh

Call to Order:        

The monthly HOST Advisory Board meeting was held on Thursday, September 20, 2001.  Robin Bond, Chair, called the meeting to order at 3:01 pm, at KEMS Electric at Pier 35. The meeting commenced by listening to President Bush’s public address on terrorism.  

Minutes Approved:

The minutes from August 23, 2001, were discussed and will be approved at the next Advisory Board Meeting.

Treasurer’s Report:        

Christine Woolaway informed the Advisory Board that no additional deposits or expenditures were made on the account, and the available balance in the checking account remained at $1,419.03.  

Safety Issues:       

Carol She’ from DLNR, presented a first draft of an amendment to Section 13-243-1, equipment required by vessels on State waters, which was revised in response to a directive received from the State Legislature to write rules to address this safety concern.  Carol asked for HOST’s feedback on this amendment, which is not for public distribution.

Action:  The Advisory Board members are asked to review the amendment and send your comments to Carol by e-mail.  Carol’s e-mail address is

Status of the next Membership   Meeting:                 

Bill Mossman will facilitate the next General Membership meeting, which will be held on October 18th, and will cover military ocean training areas.  Parnell Walsh will work with Richard Davison on school-sponsored canoe races in the Ala Wai and Honolulu Harbor.      

Action: Chris to ask Captain Kanazawa and Pat Torres about the possibility of talking about harbors and security at this meeting.

New Membership Meeting Topics:       

A.   Disposal of maritime pyrotechnics.

B.   Environmental impacts: What’s new in vessel discharge? (Dec 2001)

C.    Waterfront Security: vulnerability, weapons, and mass destruction.

SOP 3-97, Tug Boat Assistance:

The letter to the Tom Fujikawa will be placed on hold.


A.  Anne Stevens distributed sponsorship packets to HTB and the Pilots,

which she will follow up on. 

B.     Chris informed the Advisory Board of an opportunity to participate in “Make a Difference Day”.  Non-profit organizations are able to apply for funds for participating in this clean-up effort.

Action:  Chris and Robin to look into this project

C.     HOST will have a booth at Harbor Fest, which will be donated by Charlie Pires and coordinated by Anne. The Board suggested that HOST hold another silent auction to raise funds.

Other Business:    

A.  HOST assisted the U.S.C.G., in locating a tug named “Nene”.  It seems that people were hearing the word “May Day” on the radio, which was causing some confusion.  HOST was able to locate the owner of the tug and provide the information to the U.S.C.G.

B.     HOST assisted the U.S.C.G. with names of popular dive sites in Hawaii.  They have input over 1,000 names of popular sites and have included the latitude and longitude, so the U.S.C.G. is able to better assist people who are in distress.


A.  On October 10th, TESORO will clean-up nets offshore on the island of Kauai.

B.     Adam Asquith is interested in participating with HOST and in reactivating the Kauai group.


The meeting was adjourned at 1701.

The next Advisory Board meeting will be on October 25th at 1500.