HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting Minutes
March 8, 2012 (3:00 pm)
Hawaii Yacht Club
Bob Heidrich Sparkie Ewing Rich Davison
CDR Jason Neubauer Ed Lott Brad Rimell
Tim McKeague Roland Zwicky Chris Woolaway
Darren Bullock Arlen Walsten Michael MacDonald
Robin Bond Kim Beasley Michael Cantin
1. Call to Order 1500 (3:00 pm) A quorum was present.
2. Minutes of the February 9, 2012 meeting were approved.
3. Treasurer’s Report – Chris Woolaway reported that HOST has $1,866.07 in the bank.
4. Critique of the February HOST Membership meeting
All agreed that the panel discussion was a success and that many important ideas were identified. The Coast Guard requested that we expand the panel discussion to the neighbor islands. The program will be called “Share the Ocean”. Other thoughts:
a. The State is working on a brochure
b. We should make a bumper sticker
c. USCG Industry Day on Maui should consider this topic
5. Topics for the April HOST Membership Meeting
a. Update of the Japan tsunami debris situation. Nikolai and Ruth Kender
b. Anne suggested that PASHA can make a presentation on their new roll off ship.
c. USCG update of the Tsunami Committee status
d. Share the Ocean Program update
e. Flare disposal update
6. Pending HOST Safety Issues
a. Flare disposal project – Arlen Walsten spoke to H-Power and they need another meeting to work out final details.
7. Continuing HOST Business
a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris reported that she and Bruce McEwan are working out haul-out specs.They are also tightening up hull drawings in preparation of haul-out.
b. Marine debris from the Japan tsunami. This will be covered at our next membership meeting.
c. Update of Lahaina Tendering Video. Work is under way on Maui to make updates on the video. The video should be separated into one for Kona and one for Lahaina.
d. Hawaii Ocean Expo – April 21 & 22 – HOST will have a booth. Volunteers are needed to staff the booth.
e. Share the Ocean – New York Waterways Video. http://www.thesafeharbor.us/
8. New Business
Nancy Murphy of Kailua Kona called HOST for an opinion and possibly an update on the aids to navigation being removed by the USCG at the Recreational boat harbor at Kawaihae. She got more information from the Coast Guard and appears satisfied.
Chris Woolaway brought up the situation of a missing range light at the Keehi Lagoon which is used by the sand barge. Robin suggested that the State should contact Gary Cabato of the C&C Parks Department for help on locating the correct area to replace the missing range marker.
May 22 is National Maritime Day. Admiral Ray is the keynote speaker. Go to www.honolulunavyleague.org for more information. Bill Anonsen is involved in this activity and looking for nominees to represent Recreational Fishing.
9. USCG Concerns – No other new concerns.
10. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR) – Not present.
11. Coast Guard Auxiliary and Power Squadron Issues – The Power Squadron is offering “training on the water” as they have insurance to cover this. There are five certified trainers in Hawaii.
12. NOAA Issues – Small Craft Advisory Wording is being looked at. Michael Cantin asked for comments on their warning wording change. Please respond directly to him.
13. Announcements: Fun Fest on May 19th and Navy League Luncheon on May 22.
14. Next Meetings: AdvisoryBoard Meeting: April 12, 2012 (3:00 pm)
Membership Meeting: April 19, 2012 (2:00)
15. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)