Advisory Board Meeting

March 10, 2011 (3:00 pm)

Hawaii Yacht Club


Tom Collins                           Richard Davison                              Warren B. Ditch Jr.

Jim Howe                              CAPT Joanna Nunan                     LCDR Marcella Granquist

Brad Rimell                           Anne Stevens                                  Randy Swindell

Ed Underwood                     Naomi Wasano                                Chris Woolaway

Roland Zwicky                     Robin Bond

1.            Call to Order 1500 (3:00 pm) by Robin Bond. There was a quorum, and the COTP was in attendance so there were introductions.

2.         Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.  As the Minutes were received late, the Board is asked to review the minutes and amend if warranted.

3.            Treasurer’s Report – Chris reported that there is $2,147.03 in our checking. There was no further discussion.

4.            Critique of the February 17 Membership Meeting and our Visit to the Fusion Center.  Members found the visit useful and did express concern that the USCG Security Committee and the folks at the Fusion Center need to be interacting.

5.                      Topics for the April 28, 2011 HOST Membership Meeting

a.    User guide for Honolulu Harbor:  This guide is being reviewed by the legal department it may be ready for review at the April 28th meeting.

b.    DOBOR 2nd Round of Rules will be ready to discuss.  There is concern about stand up paddle boards and surf breaks.  The first meeting was in Hilo.

c.    Parasailing panel: USCG and DLNR

d.    Tsunami Discussion to review problem with order of ships in and out of Harbor also areas designated for commercial and recreational vessels.

6.         Pending HOST Safety Issues

a.    Flare disposal project – Covanta wants to set up meeting mid April.  Chris will work on getting this set up. 

b.    Alpha dive flags on dive boats – Neil; Neil not present

7.         Old Business  

a.    Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – A temporary decking has been installed to prevent intrusion from rain water.  With the Saving America’s Treasurers Grant not available this year the Friends are looking for a floating dry dock to get the Falls out of the water.  New mooring lines are being installed.

b.    2011 Joint Harbor Safety and Area Maritime Security Committee Conference – June 2011:  The Coast Guard will be sending someone, HOST will not.  Robin will send the COTP the conference web site.

c.    Who To Call SOP 12-10. Robin was interviewed on the Mike Buck Show on Feb. 16 for a program on Saturday, Feb 19.

8.         New Business

a.   Jean Cameron Executive Coordinator of the Pacific States/British Columbia Oil Spill Task Force has requested to include the HOST website in their website which acts as a clearing house for HSC data. Please refer to: http://www.oilspilltaskforce.org/harborsafety.htm for the website. HOST is considering development of a simple, user friendly HSC Network website to help us communicate with other HSCs. Robin recapped his discussion with Jean.  It appears this could be a much needed collaboration.

9.         USCG Concerns:  Parasailing is of concern and discussion is going on as to how to make it safer.  Marcella passed out the, Canoe Regatta Injuries Information Bulletin which is a result of their investigation.  There was some discussion and it was decided that folks should get back to Marcella with additional suggestions.

10.       State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR): Ed Underwood mentioned the Hanalei Bay rules for commercial vessels to regulate the access point.

11.       Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues:  No concerns.

12.       NOAA Issues – Kyle’s e-mail about David Kennedy and the Regional Review Board

13.       Power Squadron Issues: 

14.Ocean Safety:  Jim Howe mentioned the safety concerns about the stand up surfers and board surfers.

                     March 8th at Keehi Lagoon a diver crossed the channel with no flag it was a close call the CG was not notified.

15.       Announcements:   No announcements

16.       Next Meetings:       Advisory Board Meeting: April 14, 2011

                                              Membership Meeting: April 28, 2011      

17.       Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)