Back to Archive

 

                                   November 18, 2004

 

Advisory Board Meeting

 

 

Kim Beasley                                                              LCDR Ann DeYoung

Jeff Brennan                                                              John Regan

Bob Heidrich                                                             Chris Woolaway

Susan Harper                                                            Ed Underwood

Arlen Walsten                                                            Robin Bond

Randy Swindell                                                         John Thielst

Rick Shema                                                               Troy Brown

Captain Terry Rice (Ret.)                                         Bill Anonsen

           

 

AGENDA ITEM #1    Call to Order

 

            Robin called the meeting to order.    A quorum was present.

 

AGENDA ITEM #2      Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.

 

            After a brief discussion the Minutes were approved by consensus.

 

AGENDA ITEM #3    Treasurer’s Report

 

Chris Woolaway reported that we spent $41.95 on the website.    Hawaii Pilots donated $250. which brings us to a total of $1,842.40.

 

AGENDA ITEM #4    New Board Members

 

Robin introduced Randy Swindell who will be joining us as a representative of the Union .     Another new member will be Troy Brown who is a shipping agent at Waldron Steamship Co.    Robin will be sending out an E-mail with the contact information for the current Board members. This information is also available on the HOST website.

 

AGENDA ITEM #5    2005 HOST Meeting Dates

 

Robin has sent out an e-mail with an attachment with the proposed 2005 meeting dates.    It follows the same schedule as 2004. Hearing no objections we will place this information on the website.

 

AGENDA ITEM #6    Critique of the October 21 HOST Membership Meeting

 

Robin asked if anyone had any comments on the last General Membership Meeting.    Bob Heidrich reported that he updated the Yacht Clubs on the improvements to the weather reporting and that this information was well received.

 

AGENDA ITEM #7    Next Membership Meeting Topics   (February Meeting)

 

           Possible topic would be a report on the oil spill card tracking program.  -  Kim Beasley

 

           Possibly a report on the Whale Counts if they are finished by them.

 

           Terry Rice suggested that an update on the Parasailing industry might be good.  This is a sector that may be of interest to HOST.    Safety issues related to this industry have been significant.   In Florida the USCG Auxiliary has been going out with them to follow up on safety issues.    There are good practices that may need to be encouraged such as periodically cutting the last three feet of the line to insure that it doesn’t fail.    Possibly an SOP could result.   At a minimum this would be an opportunity to learn more about the industry.  

 

           Bob Heidrich suggested that it may have some value to repeat the program we did last year on Harbor congestion.    That was a panel discussion with Kim Beasley, Troy Brown and Brad Rimell.   This was of great interest and a topic that continues to evolve.

 

AGENDA ITEM #8    HOST Christmas Party

 

The HOST Christmas Party is scheduled for December 9, 2004 .   We have made arrangements to hold it at the Hawaii Yacht Club again.   We will follow the same format as last year.    Robin asked whether the starting time should be moved a little earlier.    Last year we held the Board meeting from 5:00 to 6:00 pm and then started the Christmas Party at 6:00 .    Perhaps we should move the whole schedule one hour earlier.  Parking will be an issue so moving it earlier may help that situation.  It may be that the “jitney” (golf cart) will be street legal by then and that will be a help on parking.     By consensus, the Board Meeting will start at 4:00 pm and the Christmas Party will start at 5:00 pm .  

 

Bill Anonsen and Troy Brown made a donation to the Christmas Party fund and we are close to having all the money needed for the food.

 

It would be nice to get some prizes for grab bags.    POP, Hawaii Pilots, and a few others said that they can make some donations. Please contact Robin if you have door prizes.

 

AGENDA ITEM #9    Pending HOST Safety Issues

           SOP 6-98 Commercial VHF Comms.   Hector

Venegas was absent so could not report on VHF Comms.

 

           Safety At Sea Subcommittee.  -  Susan Harper reported that things are moving forward very well.   A brochure has been produced and it has been sent in for a grant proposal to Boat U.S.     Also, the Humpback Whale Sanctuary folks are excited by the possibility of sharing the costs of the mailing out by including a new whale brochure with HOST’s.    That is still being explored.    Rick Shema reported on Safety At Sea Seminars that are being considered by this subcommittee.    Currently they are proposing a one half day seminar on January 22nd in Hawaii Kai.   The Whale Sanctuary folks volunteered the use of their facility.   This program is focused to the small recreational boater.   This show is designed to travel to other venues throughout the year.   Current plans are for a total of five seminars throughout the year.   Advertising will be a key to a good turn out.    They are also looking for some sponsors for door prizes and advertising costs.   They are still deciding whether a small fee should be charged.    They are also looking for speakers that can make the presentations on various topics.

 

            Bill Anonsen suggested that it may be possible to get Olelo to video tape this and show it on TV.

 

           Kawaihae Harbor Tug and Barge Safety  -  Robin

Nothing new on this.  

 

           SOP 9-98 Use of Seafarer’s Hall for tempo shelter  -   Terry Rice

            Both Terry Rice and Bill Anonsen have been exploring this on separate paths.    The current SOP is inaccurate so it should probably be parked on a back burner.   This is not something we want to go away but the current regulatory environment means this will take time to resolve.   HCVB told Bill that they would find some way to accommodate these sailors so the problem is really a regulatory issue.

 

           Terry Rice suggested that there may be a need to consider a SOP regarding Cruise Ships tendering policy related to standards for safety with respect to loading passengers and the potential of needing to stop due to weather or other conditions.    Who makes this decision now?    Terry will put together some information on this for distribution and consideration at a future meeting.

           

            Another potential issue could be development of designated anchorages and protocols for Cruise ship anchoring, particularly in  Lahaina.    There is competition for the preferred anchorages and sometimes safety issues are raised.    Terry will articulate these issues for further consideration.

 

           Discoloration of Harbor Waters  -  Bill Anonsen reported that he has had some preliminary contact with the Department of Health and they indicated they would be willing to sit down with and discuss this with industry.    About 12 members of HOST have expressed an interest in participating in this but many asked to postpone this until after Thanksgiving.

 

AGENDA ITEM #10    USCG Concerns  -  Captain Tim Skuby

 

LCDR Ann DeYoung asked whether anyone had any questions for the USCG?    None at this time.

 

AGENDA ITEM #11    State of Hawaii Concerns

 

Ed Underwood with the State DLNR reported that the DLNR is proposing to the Board of Land and Natural Resources asking permission to go to public hearings related to raising the mooring rates for DLNR Harbors.   Generally this is the type of thing that doesn’t involve HOST.

 

Ed also pointed out that the Cruise industry has been pushing DLNR to allow them access to more DLNR controlled areas such as Port Allen and Kaneohe Bay .

 

AGENDA  ITEM #10   USCG Auxiliary Issues

 

John reported that the auxiliary has provided four people to assist with the Safety At Sea subcommittee work.    They are pleased to be able to support this effort.

 

AGENDA ITEM #11    Announcements

 

           Robin reported that he has run into limits to the number of e-mails that he can send during a single day.   He is looking at alternatives in making the e-mail process work for us.

 

 

           Susan Harper announced that the Hawaii Yacht Club will be extending a free temporary club membership through the end of December to members of the HOST Advisory Committee.   Just take a card and sign up.     Several parties will be held in the month of December.

 

Robin asked if there were any further comments.   Hearing none he adjourned the meeting.

 

NEXT MEETINGS

 

Executive Board Meeting: December 9th,    4:00 pm ,   Hawaii Yacht Club located in the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor .

 

Christmas Party: This will be the General Membership Meeting for December.   It will be held at the Hawaii Yacht Club located in the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor .   It will begin at 5:00 pm .    Please Join Us!

 

Executive Board Meeting:    January 13th,   3:00 pm ,   Hawaii Yacht Club located in the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor .