Back to Archive

Hawaii Ocean Safety Team Board Meeting

November 16, 2006

 

 


Kim Beasley                                                              CDR Kathy Moore

Kimo Corstorphine                                                   Sinclair Brown

Robin Bond                                                               Troy Brown

George Butler                                                         Brad Rimell                           

LTJG Quincy Adams                                               Bill Mossman

Randy Swindell                                                         Paula Carroll

Scott Cunningham                                                    Mike Tongg

Jeff Conners                                                              Richard Davison

Bob Heidrich

                                                                       

                                               

AGENDA ITEM #1    Call to Order

 

Robin called the meeting to order.   A quorum was present.

 

AGENDA ITEM #2      Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.

 

            Last meeting’s minutes will be approved at the next Board Meeting.

 

AGENDA ITEM #3    Treasurer’s Report

 

Chris Woolaway is on the mainland but the funds remain at  $1,935.10.   Robin asked if it was appropriate to send someone from HOST to the Harbor Safety Committee Conference to be held in Chicago .   After some discussion Kim Beasley moved that we fund one person to attend from Hawaii .    The motion was seconded and approved by consensus.

 

AGENDA ITEM #4    Critique of the last General Membership Meeting.

           

Cmdr Kathy Moore reported that DOBOR has appointed a new director and he attended the last General Membership meeting.   Hopefully he will be able attend Advisory Board Meetings as well.   Welcome aboard.

 

Generally everyone agreed that the turnout was good and the topics seemed to hold everyone interest.

 

AGENDA ITEM #5   Next Membership Meeting

 

The next meeting is going to coincide with our Christmas Party.   This will be held on December 14, 2006 .    We need to double check on arrangements with the galley.  Bob will check on it.

 

AGENDA ITEM #6   Pending HOST Issues:

 

a.                  Safety at Sea Subcommittee  -  On hold for now

 

b.                  SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Vessel Visiting Offshore Port Anchorages – Kim submitted a draft of the updated SOP 7-98 for review. Please submit your comments directly to Kim.

 

c.                  Tug Assistance  -  Scott Cunningham reported that we may see something in the beginning of next year.   Probably around February we may see some draft language that would be for public comment.

               

d.                  SOP 10-98  (Draft)  Vessel Dispersion Plan  CDR Kathy Moore

Reported that they are going to take a fresh look at language that was proposed earlier this year.  Hopefully they can make it more workable and perhaps a little easier to understand.

 

Group discussion focused on the tsunami incident of yesterday ( 11/14/06 ). There seemed to be serious confusion on the communications network.    In some cases County Civil Defense thought they were in charge.  In others, there seemed to be confusion on who gets called, when they get called.    What is the USCG doing vs Harbors Division.    Harbors and USCG did discuss what to do about Honolulu Harbor and decisions were made on a case by case traffic control basis.    The focus was on in-bound traffic because of the potential for a loss of navigational control.  A conscious decision was made NOT to evacuate the harbor.

 

Seems to be two issues.   Decision making processes and communications mechanisms.  Brad raised the question of whether HOST could facilitate dialogue by asking stake holders on both issues for feedback on lessons learned.   Scott Cunningham said that he would check with Barry Kim to see if the Harbors after action report could be made public to HOST.

 

e.                  Shore Entry Safety Subcommittee     On hold at this time

 

f.          Harbor Congestion   -   Brad Rimell reported that Captain Heberle is going to try to pull stakeholders together for a preliminary meeting hopefully in December.   This is primarily at Honolulu Harbor , offshore anchorages and Kalaeloa Harbor . Hopefully they can identify the problems.

 

g.            SOP 1-97 Vessel Maintenance & Repair at Anchor    We are    reinitiating a committee to revisit this SOP

 

AGENDA ITEM #7    Old Business

 

           The parking situation at the Hawaii Yacht Club has a partial solution but we are still trying to work out a better solution.  Unfortunately we were working with Richard Rice and he has left DLNR.   We will have to revisit this.

 

AGENDA ITEM #8   New Business

 

           Mike Tongg reported that there is currently a great deal of confusion and miss-information  in some of the canoeing communities about some of the commercial operator concerns.    He is hoping that we can get a meeting together to discuss some of the safety Concerns.  On Saturday,  December 9, 2006 , there will be a meeting on the Star of Honolulu with the canoe community to discuss the situation. Boarding will be at 10:45 am .  The plan is to gather a panel of different commercial participants to present the safety information and concerns.    Right now Mike has about 45 people signed up.  Mahalo to the Star of Honolulu for volunteering the use of their vessel.  

 

AGENDA ITEM #9   USCG Concerns

 

           CDR Kathy Moore reported that we had a snorkeling death that may well be due to natural causes.   There is a HOST SOP that may need to be reviewed.

 

           HOST SOP 1-97 related to “Dead Ship”.    That SOP does not discuss different risks as related to different types of ships.   Different ships pose different risks.    Lt. Johnson will be the USCG Point of Contact.    Looking to add to the decision making matrix to include ship types and size.  Brad said that we can put together a subcommittee to review that SOP.    We don’t want to create an environment that prohibits ships from coming here for repairs but we do need to know the risks associated by granting a request for moorage.

 

           LT. Quincy Adams handed out the new USCG pamphlets on the Port Security Zones.    They will be going out with a campaign to spread the word.    They will be distributed throughout the State and also placed on the website.

 

           She will now be working on the boater safety pamphlets.  These are focused on local recreational fisherman.   We need to find funding for printing. 

 

AGENDA ITEM #10 -   State of Hawaii Concerns  ( DOT Harbors and DLNR)

 

           No issues at this time.

 

AGENDA ITEM #11  -  Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues

 

           No issues at this time.

 

AGENDA ITEM #12  -  Announcements:

 

           Harbor Safety Conference will be held in Chicago on May 9 – 11th, 2007.   As mentioned above, Kim moved that we send at least one person from HOST.    Kimo seconded the motion.   This passed by consensus.

 

           Maritime Industry Day.    CDR Kathy Moore said that the USCG will be holding a one half day Maritime Industry Day.    It will be on the 18th of January at the Hilton Hawaiian Village .   Rooms 1,2, & 3 of the Tapa Tower .   It will be a very diverse agenda and hopefully there will be a good turnout.

 

NEXT MEETINGS

 

Executive Board Meeting:

 

            December 14th at 4:00 pm prior to the annual party.   Hawaii Yacht Club located in the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor .

 

General Membership Meeting:

 

December 14th,  5:00 pm , following the HOST Board meeting at the  Hawaii Yacht Club.  Christmas Party!