Back to Archive

November 13, 2003

 

Hawaii Ocean Safety Team

Advisory Board Meeting

 

MINUTES

 


Attendees:

 

Robin Bond, Chairman                                             Susan Harper, Yacht Clubs

Kim Beasley, CIC                                                    Bob Heidrich, HYC

Bill Mossman , HBPAA                                           Chris Woolaway, Sea Grant

Julia Morgan,  Fishing                                               Mike Nelson, Rec. Boating

Sinclair Brown,  Pilots                                               Kimo Corstorphine, Yachts

Capt. Timothy Skuby                                               Arlen Walsten, Ocean Rec.

 

 

Call To Order and Approval of the Minutes

 

Chairman Robin Bond opened the meeting.    A quorum being present he asked for a review of the minutes of the previous meeting.   After a review of the minutes they were approved by consensus.

 

AGENDA Item #3  -  Treasurer's Report

 

Chris Woolaway reported that we currently have $1,313.25 in the bank, with the expectation of spending some money on the Christmas party.  The Propeller Club is going to donate $250.00 toward the Christmas party.   This is down slightly from last month due to spending on Terry Leicher’s airfare.

 

AGENDA Item #4  -  New Advisory Board Members

  

Robin introduced two new advisory Board members.   Kimo Corstorphine will be representing yachts.     He has been sailing since 1980, and is a member of the Kaneohe Yacht Club.   

 

Sinclair Brown will be representing the Pilots Association.   He graduated from King’s Point in 1985.    He served on tugboats for two years then moved into deep-water vessels.   He is currently in the pilot training program.

 

AGENDA Item  #5  -  Review of the General Meeting

 

Everyone felt the General Meeting was informative.    We had about 35 people in attendance.    Robin distributed the proposed meeting dates for the year 2004.  There was general agreement that we would follow the same type of schedule as 2003.

 

AGENDA Item  #6  -  Critique of the HOST participation in Harbor Fest

 

Robin spoke about the recent effort to man a booth at the Honolulu Harbor Fest. HOST Brochures and the two HOST safety messages (EPIRB’s and PFD’s) were passed out.    Robin thanked Kim for the new HOST sign.    This was one of the most successful Harbor Fests with lots of attendance.    It was a good effort but we really needed more help manning the booth.   It always seems to be the same people who are willing to help out.

 

 

AGENDA Item  #7  -   Annual Christmas Party

 

Robin reminded everyone that our Christmas Party will be held December 11th from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.   Discussion followed as to whether we should have a Board Meeting the same day.    Everyone agreed that we would meet from 5:00 to 6:00 pm just prior to the Board Meeting. Robin asked if anyone had any ideas for door prizes.    Tide calendars were mentioned and HT& B might be willing to donate some.    Kim volunteered to send Robin an updated HOST Christmas announcement.

  

AGENDA Item  #8  -   2004 HOST Meeting Dates

 

As discussed earlier we will follow the same schedule in 2004 that we settled on for 2003.   That schedule is Board meetings at the Hawaii Yacht Club, 2nd Thursday every month.    General meetings 3rd Thursday, every other month.  Holidays excepted.   In 2004 we propose the December meeting be held on the 9th.   (Christmas Party).      Everyone agreed.

 

AGENDA Item  #9  -   Sixth National Harbor Safety Conference

 

Robin announced that the planning for this is still in progress.   Nothing finalized as yet.

 

AGENDA Item  #10  -   HOST Correspondence

 

Robin had received two separate inquiries during the month.    One was from Jeff Baugh wanting  information on seaplanes. Robin referred him to the State and FAA.

 

A second inquiry came from a woman named Pamela from the United Kingdom.  She had heard about the surfer girl that was bitten by a shark.   She wanted to know if shinny objects attracted sharks.    Robin talked with John Naughton and the answer is no.  Robin replied by e-mail.

 

AGENDA Item  #11  -   Pending HOST Safety Issues

 

a.         Diving SOP  -   Still with the lawyers, nothing done yet.  Hopefully this will be completed by the next meeting.

b.         SOP 6-98 Commercial VHF Comms.  -  Louie   No News

c.         Kawaihae Harbor Tug and Barge Safety  -  Robin   No News.

d.         Harbor Entry During a Disaster  -  Brad     No News.

e.         PR Education Committee  -  Julia

 

            Julia reported that Pearlyn with DOBOR said our brochures weren’t particularly good looking and that they have elected to go a different route in advertising the EPIRB and PFD regulations.   They have $80,000 budgeted for Public Service Announcements

 

            Julia mentioned that there might be some money available to us from Boat US for boater education.    Possibly a revolving fund could be available so that we wouldn’t have to go begging every time we wanted to develop a brochure or other program.

 

            Kim reminded everyone about the idea of putting slide shows on at the movie theatre.    Could be a way to advertise these new regulations and at the same time let people know about HOST and what we do.     Kim and Julia will look into this.

 

            Julia also discussed the idea of developing a “bookmark” type of insert to be developed by HOST to be included in the USCG’s brochure on the Harbor Security Zones.    She discussed this with Lt. Erin Cantwell of the USCG.    Some of the topics still under discussion include referencing “visual indicators” such as a USCG cutter to aid in recognition when zones are being enforced.   Also whether better announcements over the radio could be made by the USCG to indicate which zones are currently being enforced.  This effort is still in progress.

 

 

AGENDA Item  #12  -   Homeland Security

 

Captain Skuby discussed the issue of planes flying over Honolulu Harbor.    The USCG review of the inquiry indicates that this is a complicated issue and has to do with airport fly zones.    It is an FAA issue and any prohibition would be very tough to do.     Other than this there is no real news on the Security front.

                       

 NEW BUSINESS FROM THE FLOOR

 

 Robin asked if there was any new business from the floor.

 

Security Zone and Night Time Barge Loading and Transportation

 

Kim Beasley informed the Board that the constituency he represents  (fueling terminals)  had asked him to speak to HOST regarding their concerns regarding conflicts between Cruise ships and the Security Zones surrounding them and the impacts this is starting to have on fuel shipment transportation and loading operations.       There are really three issues that are combining to create a very real potential safety and environmental problem.     The first issue is that our commercial harbors have increasing demand with very few improvements to infrastructure.    This coupled with a planned increase in cruise ships and the Security Zones surrounding them, have the potential of pushing fuel transportation and loading operations to night time.   For example if a cruise ship is in Kahului four days a week, and leaves the harbor at sunset.   The fuel barge would have to wait outside the harbor until after sunset before entering the harbor.   Otherwise he would be within the Security Zone.   This sets up the potential for operational errors when coming into the harbor.   (Barge operations are a contact sport.)    Further, a steady diet of offloading barges at night presents safety considerations and oil spill response complications.    (Operator exhaustion, inability to see the spilled oil).       Also, as this will be happening throughout the commercial harbors of the State,   this will create a ripple effect on operational schedules and activities across the entire State.   Moving to all nighttime operations is a development fraught with safety and environmental risks.

 

Kim reminded the Board that early on HOST had discussed the issue of whether certain commercial activities could have special security sub plans that would work in conjunction with the Security Regulation.     Kim proposed that HOST develop  a letter expressing our safety concerns and that this letter propose discussions be conducted on this possibility.   This letter would be addressed to the HOSC group, which is working on Security.     Captain Skuby indicated that this is something that could be discussed.    Robin agreed that there are some safety issues here and that we could look at developing such a letter.    He asked Kim to set up a small committee of stakeholders and develop a draft letter for HOST consideration.

 

Kim agreed.

 

ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

The next meetings are as follows:

 

          Next Board Meeting,  December 11, 2003  5:00 pm

          Christmas Party,   December 11, 2003   6:00 pm.

            Hawaii Yacht Club

 

Robin asked if there was any further new business?

Hearing none, the meeting was adjourned.