Back to Archive

HOST ADVISORY BOARD MEETING

November 3, 2005

 


Kim Beasley                                                              Arlen Walsten                                   

Bob Heidrich                                                             Mike Nelson

Chris Woolaway                                                        Kimo Corstorphine              

Robin Bond                                                                Troy Brown                            

Scott Cunningham                                                    Susan Jacquelin

LCDR Rick Raksnis                                                 Randy Swindell         

Sinclair Brown                                                           Captain Manson Brown

Troy Brown

                                   

 

INTRODUCTIONS

 

Robin asked everyone to introduce themselves.

 

AGENDA ITEM #1    Call to Order

 

            Robin called the meeting to order.    A quorum is present.

 

AGENDA ITEM #2      Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.

 

Robin Bond asked if there were any proposed changes to the Minutes from the last Board  meetings.  Hearing none, the Minutes were passed by consensus.   

 

AGENDA ITEM #3    Treasurer’s Report

 

Chris Woolaway reported that we have a total of $1,138.97 which is after spending funds to support the Web Site.

 

AGENDA ITEM #4    2006 Meeting Schedule

 

Generally follows the same time and format that we have been following for the last two years.    Three meetings will not follow the pattern exactly due to holidays.    Hearing no dissent, the schedule was approved. 

 

Next Meeting Topics  (February 2006)

 

The next meeting will actually be December 8 which will be the Christmas Party.    So topics will be needed for the February meeting.  Are there any suggestions.

 

Mike Nelson suggested that he may be able to do something on the 2006 Boat Show.    It will be in a new venue – at the Blaisdell Center .  

 

Think about possible topics.

 

AGENDA ITEM #5   HOST Christmas Party

 

The Christmas Party will be held on December 8th.   The Board will meet at 4:00 pm and the party will begin at 5:00 .    The Hawaii Pilots are donating $500. and the Propeller Club is donating $250.   The Yacht Club will be preparing the majority of the pupus but additional donations of food would be welcome.    Coordinate any food donations with Susan Jacquelin.   Sause Brothers will donate a side of beef.   Kim Beasley will donate a large Pan of Gon Lo Min noodles and Robin will bring Tako Poke.

 

Kim Beasley volunteered to produce an announcement and send it to Robin for distribution.

 

Also, any door prize donations and monetary gifts will be appreciated.

 

AGENDA ITEM #6   Pending HOST Issues


 

           SOP 6-98 Commercial VHF Comms  -  Robin said that the changes are listed on the website and so far we have not had any comments so he is assuming that there are no concerns.    Robin pointed out that any changes should be given to Scott Osborn of KEMS Kewalo.   Kim pointed out that the Hawaii Area Response Plan for Oil Spill Response designates Marine VHF Channel 6 as the “hailing” channel.    This should be noted. 

 

           Safety At Sea Subcommittee.  -  The next one will be at the Harbor Festival.    Susan Jacquelin passed out copies of the agenda for presentation for the Safety at Sea Seminar to be held at the Hawaii Maritime Museum , second floor.    Our target audience for now is the trailer boating community as they are not exposed to the safety issues as much as yacht club members.   Kim made up brochures and LCDR Raksnis provided USCG support.   What we need now is manpower to help man the HOST booth.

 

            Parking will be $3.00 for the whole day.    It should be a good day for everyone.

 

            Robin wanted to thank Susan Jacquelin for spear heading the effort to put on the Harbor Fest.    Rick Shema and Rick Raksnis have been a great help.    This is what HOST does and the success of this is only due to the great efforts of people like this.   Thanks again.

 

           SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Vessels Visiting Offshore Port Anchorages  -   We are waiting for another two ship day in Kona.  That won’t happen until early next year.   We will be trying to get Hal Silva over to Kona to help open dialogue on a possible consensus for a solution.

 

           Tug Assistance  -  Scott Cunningham reported that there is a good deal of effort and dialogue on the subject.   No solution yet but the dialogue is moving forward.

 

AGENDA ITEM #7  -  New Business

 

           2006 Boat Show

 

April 28th, 29th and 30th will be the 2006 Boat Show.    He has been unable to find a wet water area to hold the boat show.    The area at Ko’olina lasted 5 years but that area is being developed.    The Marine Base wanted an Environmental Impact Statement.   The only venue now is the Blaisdell Center .     Mike is turning over the day-to-day on this effort to his son Matt.   This will be held at the same time as the “New Products Show” which should boost attendance.    Also bringing in other participants like motorcycles, sail boarding and other “big boy toys”.

 

           Shore Diving

 

Is there something that HOST can do to educate divers to some of the more dangerous shore diving areas.    Jarrod Kowalski, Monique Patton, Alan Hong and Robin are thinking of getting together to explore concepts.     At this point nothing very definitive is planned.  More to follow.

 

           Robin reported that he has met with some success in sending out e-mails to our 350+ members.    This has been a problem in the past because of the worldwide spamming problem.   We have been using Yahoo, but early next year it looks as though we will be able to drop that expense.   “Freeservers” is the company that is hosting our website.   (Although they are not exactly free)

 

           Jon Emerson  of Kanaka Ikaika which is the one-man kayakers group was hoping to come today but was not able to make it.    We are in contact, however,  and intend to move forward on this initiative to develop an educational dialogue similar to the canoe clubs.

 

           Abandoned Vessels

 

            A general discussion as to why vessels that go aground are not always removed on a timely basis.    There is no legal mandate or mechanism to pay for wreck removal.   Is there anything HOST can do to get something in place to deal with this.    Captain Brown pointed out that this is a national problem.    Insurance companies don’t want to stand up to liability for people that are not licensed.   It also is a training issue.    It may be something that we can bring up at the next National Harbor Safety Conference.     Kim pointed out that special funds based on “user fees” or “taxes” don’t work very well here.    Usually funds of this nature that could be available to the State to remove wrecks are not always available.   Unfortunately the State Legislature has a nasty habit of “borrowing” monies from these funds for other uses. Stand by for more on this.

 

AGENDA ITEM #8  -  USCG Concerns

 

           Captain Brown reported no new concerns.   They are looking forward to the Harbor Fest.

 

AGENDA ITEM #9    State of Hawaii Concerns

 

           Scott Cunningham from Harbors had presented earlier.   

 

AGENDA ITEM #9    Coast Guard Auxiliary

 

           John Regan was not in attendance but Susan Jacquelin reported that the Auxiliary has been asked to put on an education safety training course for the UH Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology.

 

Announcements

 

           Chris Woolaway showed everyone the new publication from DLNR called.    Hawaii Local Action Strategy to Address Recreational Impacts on Reefs”.   Chris also mentioned the Hawaii Ocean Resources Management Plan (ORMP) Workshop that was held on October 26th.  The Hawaii Coastal Zone Management Program will take the information generated out of this workshop along with additional information gathered and produce a report that will be presented to the 2006 Legislature. The goal of this effort is to update The Ocean Resources Management Plan for the State of Hawaii ...

 

NEXT MEETINGS

 

Executive Board Meeting:

 

December 8th,    4:00 pm ,   Hawaii Yacht Club located in the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor .

 

General Membership Meeting:

 

Christmas Party December 8th,   5:00 pm ,   Honolulu Community College Marine Training Facility.