Advisory Board Meeting
October 8, 2009 (3:00 pm)
Kim Beasley Bill Mossman
Robin Bond Kimo Corstorphine
Capt. Paula Carroll Ret. LCDR Marcella Granquist
Bob Heidrich Brad Rimell
Capt. Terry Rice Ret. LCDR Jeffrey Taylor
Chuck Krause Mark Delventhal
Don Sanders Anne Stevens
Oy Branum Ed Enos
Ed Lott Chris Woolaway
AGENDA ITEM #1 Call to Order
Robin called the meeting to order. A quorum was present.
AGENDA ITEM #2 Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.
Having a quorum, Robin asked for comments and approval of all previous Minutes. Minutes were approved
AGENDA ITEM #3 Treasurer’s Report
Chris Woolaway reported that current funds total $1,637.71 Expected expenditures include food costs for the Christmas Party. There have been no expenditures this month.
AGENDA ITEM #4 General Membership Meeting
a. State DLNR Recreational Renaissance Plan B Update
b. Interisland Wind Project Presentation
c. Malama Kai day-use mooring 10-year strategic plan presentation
AGENDA ITEM #5 Pending HOST Safety Issues
a. Shore entry dive safety – Robin reported that there is nothing new on this
b. Flare disposal project – Chris reported that there is nothing new on this
AGENDA ITEM #6 Old Business
4th Annual Hawaii Fishing Seafood Festival
HOST will be having a booth this Sunday. This will held at Pier 38. We have been doing this a number of years. We can always use some help. Please drop by. Kim Beasley made up some brochures.
First Annual World Maritime Day
This will be held October 16th at Gordon Biersch Brewery at Pier 10. The United States Coat Guard is sponsoring this in the United States. HOST will have a booth.
Falls of Clyde – Chris noted that there is nothing new at this time.
AGENDA ITEM #7 New Business
• Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Site controversy. Mr. Noa Napoleon is a 3rd generation beach boy that is concerned about certain other surf teaching operations that are operating in what he thinks is a potential unsafe area. Discussion followed that we don’t have enough information on the specifics. It seems that he wants to teach there but not allow any other operations. Is it a safety issue or a competition issue? Robin proposed to write a letter back to him asking for specifics related to safety.
• Hawaii Kai diving fatality. The USCG is investigating. The news reports seem to indicate that they were diving near the boating channel in Hawaii Kai. Discussion followed to indicate that there seems to be no speed limit in that area. Until we know more there is nothing we can consider yet.
• The HOST Christmas Party will be held on December 10, 2009, the last HOST Board meeting date in December. We will follow the same format as last year. The Yacht Club is available.
AGENDA ITEM #8 USCG Concerns
• LCDR Marcella Granquist - Nothing more at this time.
AGENDA ITEM #9 State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR)
• No representation.
AGENDA ITEM #10 Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues
• Commodore Ed Lott reported on the activities of the Auxiliary.
AGENDA ITEM #11 NOAA Issues
• NOAA reported that they will be conducting surveys on locations to install current meters for a three year project to develop current maps for Hawaii. They are looking for a few work boats particularly off Kona and Port Allen.
AGENDA ITEM #12 Power Squadron Concerns
• Don Sanders had nothing new to report.
AGENDA ITEM #13 - Announcements:
• Chris Woolaway reported on the success of the project to bring litter and debris back from Midway. Great project.
Executive Board Meeting:
November 5, 2009 at the Hawaii Yacht Club located in
the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor.
General Membership Meeting:
October 15, 2009 at the Honolulu Community College Maritime Training Center.