Hawaii Ocean Safety Team
Advisory Board Meeting
August 7, 2008 (3:00 pm)
Neil Kanemoto Randy Swindell Chris Woolaway
Robin Bond Bill Mossman Paula Carroll
Kim Beasley Jeff Connors Brad Rimell
Bob Heidrich Jasmin Parker Chris Ostrander
1. 1500 (3:00 pm) Call to order – Robin called the meeting to order. A quorum was present.
2. Approval of last Board and Membership meeting minutes – None submitted.
3. Treasurer’s Report – Chris $1,999.43
4. HOST Board of Directors – Officers was tabled for this meeting. We need to double check on the E-mail that went out as Bob didn’t get the notice.
5. August 21, 2008 Possible Membership Meeting Topics
a. The Clean Water Act impact on boaters, Chris will check with EPA locally.
b. NOAA Fisheries Permits for recreational Boaters - Bill Mossman
c. Derelict Vessel Safety – USCG (a possible public forum panel of CG/DOBOR/DOT)
d. Funding for NI Ports after this Legislative session - State
e. Future of the Hawaii Maritime Center – Bishop Museum
f. Have the Issues of Harbor Congestion been resolved or have they been temporally dispatched because of the pull out of the cruise ship?
g. “Marine Exchange” Is it possible here in Hawaii? - Ed Enos will organize the presentation and provide Robin with the list of companies/agencies that should be invited.
h. Hurricanes & other disasters, how do we recover? A working group is being formed, and an inventory of what equipment is available and what is needed needs to be done: USCG will do the presentation.
i. Status on long-range harbor plans –ask to update Mike Formby
6. Pending HOST Issues:
a. SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Vessel Visiting Offshore Port Anchorages – Kim Nothing new.
b. Tug Assistance – Tom/Troy – Nothing new to report.
7. Old Business
a. Flare disposal project – No activity
b. Hawaii Fishing & Seafood Festival – Sunday, October 12, 2008 - Robin submitted the forms to have HOST participate.
8. New Business
a. Divers in Channel-Charlie Pires
9. United States Coast Guard Concerns
10. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR)
11. Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues – Ed Lott and John Regan
12. NOAA – Costal Survey – LT. Jeff Taylor
14. Next meetings: Advisory Board Meeting: September 11, 2008
Membership Meeting: August 21, 2008
15. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)