Back to Archive

HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM

Advisory Board Meeting

June 16, 2011 (3:00 pm)

Hawaii Yacht Club

 

 Attendance:

 

Michael Cantin                     Paula Carroll                                    Tom Collins

Kimo Corstorphine              Bob Heidrich                         CDR Robert McFarland

Steve Morita                          Brad Rimell                           Anne Stevens

Ed Underwood                     Arlen Walsten                       Naomi Wasano

Chris Woolaway                   Roland Zwicky                     Michael Devolld

 

1.            Call to Order 1500 (3:00 pm) Brad Rimell there was a quorum

 

2.         Approval of the Minutes of last meeting. Approved

 

3.                      Treasurer’s Report – Chris Woolaway reported that there is $2147.03 in the checking account.

 

4.            Topics for the June 23, 2011 HOST Membership Meeting

a.    Hurricane Season Preparedness Annual Presentation – NOAA Weather

USCG Heavy Weather Plan-Jason Neubauer reported that meetings are still being held and the final report is not ready.

b.    Tsunami Debris from Japan – Dr. Nikolai Maximenko Senior Scientist from the International Pacific Research Center at UH will be presenting the current information available.

c.    Update on Hawaii Small Boat Harbor tsunami debris cleanup-Ed Underwood

 

5.         Pending HOST Safety Issues

a.    Flare disposal project – Chris updated the Board on the results of the Subcommittee meeting just prior and POP will be looking into serving as the lead on the collection and transport for expired flares to H-Power.  Chris will follow up with West Marine and Windward Boats to find out their number of annual sales of flares being sold to help get an understanding of the possible numbers of flares out in the commercial and recreational sectors.  Arlen will check with POP for their annual sales.  If POP can do this then Chris will follow up with Covanta.  Anne reported that the Fire Department was doing the collection of fireworks as a one time only program.  HFD did give Anne the brochure of the box used in transport which we will need to replicate for POP.

b.    Alpha dive flags on dive boats – Neil no report.

 

6.         Old Business  

a.    Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris reported that maintenance efforts are going on.  The electricity for the ship which will secure alarms is being worked on and should be completed soon.

b.    Harbor Range Light Upgrade to a PEL Sector Light. Review and approve Ed Enos letter-Tom Collins reported that the lights at Kalaeloa are working and the Kapalama Channel lights are approved.

c.    Status of USCG Tsunami Incident Action Plan – Brad reported that there was a meeting yesterday and that a lot of progress was made.  A process for a Unified Command was set up.  On the evacuation plan more coordination is needed for the inner harbor.  There will be a CG representative, a Pilot up in Aloha Tower to help coordinate vessel movement.  In the future they will be working on the Neighbor Islands, Kalaeloa and Kewalo.  They discussed egress, ingress and the all clear.  HPD will be at the tsunami center.  The group will look at better coordination of information.  Road blocks discussed with recreational boaters and the use of VHF.  Unified Command will be more detailed in what communication they give to the Mayors which will then go to the community. 

 

7.         New Business: None

           

8.         USCG Concerns:  Jason mentioned the planning going on for APEC especially for Ala Wai.  The CG will be producing an insert for dissemination through boater media.  CG and DLNR are declining events during Nov. 11, 12, 13, 2011.

                     USCG concerns are also focused on Parasailing safety.  The CG would like HOST to help with the safety issues.

 

9.         State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR): None at this time

 

10.       Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues:  None at this time

 

11.       NOAA Issues:  NOAA Weather Service would like to be more involved with Ocean Safety Week next year.  They would like to help with safety messages for boaters and the community.

 

12.       Power Squadron Issues:  Transpac was discussed with first arrivals expected July 9 or 10th.

 

13.       Announcements: None

 

14.       Next Meetings:       Advisory Board Meeting: July 14, 2011

                                              Membership Meeting: August 25, 2011                                     

 

15.       Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)