Hawaii Ocean Safety Team
Advisory Board Meeting
June 5, 2008 (3:00 pm)
Kim Beasley Robin Bond Paula Carroll
Jeff Connors Bill Davis Bob Heidrich
CDR Kathy Moore Brad Rimell Randy Swindell
1. 1500 (3:00 pm) Robin called the meeting to order. A quorum was present.
2. Approval of last Board and Membership meeting minutes was given.
3. Treasurers Report Chris gave the report of $2,863.56 in the checking account, and there were no comments.
4. June 19, 2008 Membership Meeting Topics
Suggestion to have a panel to discuss various safety concerns. Give membership a chance to bring up current safety issues.
State Green Cards Bill Davis
Review various HOST SOPs.
Marine Safety Performance Improvement Plan USCG
NOAA Navigation Issues
National Harbor Safety Conference Highlights
5. Pending HOST Issues:
a. SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Vessel Visiting Offshore Port Anchorages Kim There has been no letter from Nancy in Kona.
b. Tug Assistance Tom/Troy No activity. It was reported that rules are being drafted.
6. Old Business
a. Flare disposal project No activity
b. Letter to Formby and Hannemann regarding fireboat which is out of service. Robin to write.
c. Neil suggested a grant for a whale PSA.
7. New Business
a. Marine Industry Survey - Online survey about training needs in the marine industry
8. United States Coast Guard Concerns: The close calls in the Harbor channels were briefly discussed.
9. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR)
10. Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues John Regan Since John is ill, Ed Lott will attend meetings.
11. NOAA Costal Survey LT. Jeff Taylor discussed PORTS (Physical Oceanographic Real Time System)
Bill Mossman reported on ballast water.
Neil gave a note on personal water craft
Chris reported on National Oceans month
13. Next meetings: Advisory Board Meeting: July 10, 2008
Membership Meeting: June 19, 2008
14. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)