Back to Archives

HOST Advisory Board Meeting Minutes of May 17, 2001

Subject to Board Approval

 

 

Members Present:            

Robin Bond, Susan Harper, Tom Heberle, Captain Gil Kanazawa, Bill Mossman, Terry O’Halloran, Pat Pettigrew, Charlie Pires, Brad Rimell, Mark Willis, Christine Woolaway.

 

Members Absent:            

Bill Anonsen, Ed Araki, Randy Cates, Clarence Chong, Mike DeRego, Mike Duvall, Stan Radlo, Russell Rippetoe, Barry Solywoda, Anne Stevens, Terry White.

 

Members Excused:            

Barbara Defranco, Warren Ditch, Sam Forbes, Michael Heisler, Giles Loftin, Jim Walsh, mike Latham, Roy Yee.

 

USCG Guests:              

Paula Carroll, Lane Johnson, John Sifling.

 

Call to Order:               

The monthly HOST Advisory Board meeting was held on Thursday, May 17, 2001.  Robin Bond, Chair, called the meeting to order at 3:15 pm, at KEMS Electric at Pier 35.  Introductions were made since this was Susan Harper’s first HOST meeting as an Advisory Board member. 

 

Minutes Approved:            

The minutes from April 19, 2001, were approved. 

 

Treasurer’s Report:            

Christine Woolaway informed the Advisory Board that there was a balance of $364.94, available in the HOST checking account. 

 

Portmaster Internet System:            

Lt. Cmdr. Lane Johnson presented an overview of the Portmaster Internet system to the Advisory Board.  The USCG is looking into this Internet web-based software application, which would enable its users to access real-time harbor information.  The system can be adapted to any port or waterway and can be used for vessel and berth management, on-line reports, interactive mapping, notifications of events, real-time reporting, environmental conditions, etc.

Action:  If you would like to access the “demo” site, contact Lane Johnson at 541-2103 or by e-mail: LJohnson@d14.uscg.mil

 

Status of Next Membership Meeting:                

The topic of the June 14th general membership meeting will cover the status of Barbers Point, and will be facilitated by Tom Heberle.  Tom is working on the panel of presenters:

*    Bill Thayer/Kimo to represent the industry point of view

*    David Pascua

It was also suggested that Lt. Cmdr. Lane Johnston give a 10-minute Power Point presentation on the Portmaster Internet System and for Captain Gil Kanazawa to provide an update on the Asian Development Bank Conference (ADB).     

 

New Membership Meeting Topics:            

The August 9th General Membership meeting will cover the impact of the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary program to the marine community.  Mr. Jim Coon, Chair of their Advisory Board has indicated that the Sanctuary program is looking at increasing penalty fees, and this meeting would be a good opportunity for the community to be updated on the direction the Sanctuary program may be taking.  Terry O’Halloran will facilitate this meeting. 

 

New HOST Safety Issues:             

A.    Robin has been working with Lt. Diane Greentree on a listing of popular offshore moorings for the USCG SAR information system.

 

B.    The two Big Island safety concerns on swimmers/jet skis and drift diving at Kealakekua are pending.

 

SOP 3-97 Tugboat Sub-Committee:            

It was decided that the Pilotage Subcommittee should be reactivated to look at and update the SOP.  Tom agreed to be the Chair of this Sub-Committee, which will be announced at the June General Membership meeting for anyone wishing to serve on this committee. 

 

Action: Chris to provide Tom with a list of past members of this Sub-Committee.

 

Friday Sailboat Races Meeting Update:            

Robin informed the Advisory Board of the meeting held on May 3rd to address the incident that occurred on April 13th, which involved the Friday sailboat races, which use the Honolulu Harbor entrance buoy.  The meeting was positive and Jim Ferris agreed to go back to his group to come up with a way to resolve the situation. 

 

Action: Robin will follow-up with Jim regarding this recommendation.  An Ad Hoc Sub-Committee will be created for Mamala Bay.  This new Sub-Committee will be added to the June General Membership meeting agenda.

 

Fundraising:            

A.    Robin and Chris met with Kim Beasley regarding funds that may be available

from the Propeller Club.  The Propeller Club’s membership is limited now and in order to approve funds for projects, a new Board needs to be up and running.  Kim and Tom Collins are working on reestablishing the Propeller Club.

 

B.      Pat Pettigrew has been hard at work receiving donations for the silent auction to be held at the Boat Show, May 26-27, 2001 at Barber’s Point/Ko Olina.  New donations were received from Cinnamon’s Restaurant, Voyager, and the  Pacific Whale Foundation.  Also, BOATS/HAWAII is donating 15% of the memberships received by their organization to support HOST.

 

Action:  If anyone would like to make a donation to be auctioned, please notify Pat.

 

Other Business:             

A.      Terry O’Halloran will be the speaker at Ocean Day, to be held on June 6th.

 

B.      Robin discussed the communications on the ADB that were distributed to the membership from Lt. Dan Norton and Captain Kanazawa on what to expect for the maritime industry and how to handle questionable and suspicious actions.

 

C.       Robin was invited by Russel Rippetoe to attend a union picnic on April 29th.  Although Russel has been unable to attend the Advisory Board meetings, he has been sharing the minutes with their members.  It was suggested that HOST could have membership meeting focused on a topic of interest to the union membership.

 

Announcements:            

A.      Chris informed the Advisory Board of the Derelict Fishing Hotline,

established to create awareness of the problem and where nets are accumulating.  The public can call 956-2860 when they locate derelict fishing nets onshore and offshore before they hit the reefs.  The Coast Guard will be alerted of this information as a hazard to navigation. Contractors will clean up the nets.  Hawaii Metals Recycling is looking for a way to recycle the nets, so they aren’t placed in landfills.  TESORO has expressed interest in joining this effort.

 

B.     The Harbor Safety’s new website is http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/harborsafety   

 

C.     Pat asked the Advisory Board for approval to spend $60.00/year to cover the cost for an advertisement free website for HOST.  A motion was made by Terry O’Halloran to approve the funds for the website, which was seconded by Charlie Pires.

 

D.     HOST will have a booth at the Fishermen’s Festival, and volunteers are needed to help cover the booth.

 

Adjournment:                

The meeting was adjourned at 1722.

The next Advisory Board meeting will be on June 21st at 1500.