ADVISORY BOARD MEETING
LCDR Rick Raksnis
LTJG Quincey Adams
Terry Rice (USCG Ret.)
asked everyone to introduce themselves.
ITEM #1 Call to Order
Robin called the meeting to order.
A quorum was not present. Robin announced that Hector Venegas is stepping
down from the Board and being replaced by Scott Osborn who is working for
Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.
Robin Bond asked if there were
any proposed changes to the Minutes. None were offered.
ITEM #3 Treasurer’s
Chris Woolaway reported that HOST has $2,138.90 in the bank. She also
reported that the Combined Federal Campaign paperwork has been submitted.
ITEM #4 Next Membership
Robin reported that Mark Kimura from the Marine Education and
Report on the International Coastal Cleanup
Conference – Chris
Report on the
2005 Legislative Wrap Up – Bill Anonsen
Commercialization of a naval ship repair facility
– Bill Anonsen to arrange panel
Last Year’s Regional Exam Center Wrap Up – Rick
2005 Boat Show
ITEM #5 Pending HOST
SOP 6-98 Commercial VHF Comms –
Robin to meet with Hector next week
Safety at Sea Subcommittee –
Rick Shema to serve as chair of subcommittee. The goal is to put on at least
four seminars per year.
Kawaihae Harbor Tug and Barge
Safety – Robin reported that there is nothing new from the State. Bill
reported that $1m has been appropriated to finish the recreational boat harbor
adjacent to the
SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Vessel
Visiting Offshore Port Anchorages – Kim was off island and could not give a
Clean Water Act/State water
quality subcommittee – Bill Anonsen reported that he is working with NCL and
the State Dept. of Health to look at ways to clean ship hulls without polluting
the water. NCL has looked at a suction system and doing the work off the Penguin
banks but both methods have ruled out.
Tug Assistance – Tom/Troy.
Scott Cunningham from State Harbors was present to discuss Barry
Fukunaga’s letter to HOST and other industry representatives asking for input
on updating Harbor Administrative Rules pertaining to vessel assist
requirements. Discussion followed on the various aspects of the rules and how
HOST SOP 3-97 was developed. There is a need to get feedback and consensus from
all affected industries and to make sure that the rules fully meet the safety,
environmental and commercial needs of all
HOST sub-committee will continue to help facilitate dialogue on this topic. The
State and USCG will participate on the subcommittee along with industry
representatives. Interested parties should call Troy Brown who is the chair of
ITEM #6 New Business
HOST will have a booth at the
expo and will coordinate Safety at Sea seminars each day in the main tent. Rick
Shema has worked up an excellent agenda and has secured many very capable
speakers to participate in the seminar. If you are interested in manning the
HOST booth please let Bob Heidrich know.
Russell Rippetoe Request – The Board discussed a
request from Russell regarding possible changes in manning requirements for tuna
fishing vessels in
change of command ceremony for Capt. Skuby is next week. Captain Manson Brown
comes in this weekend.
to the security zone regulations are progressing and should be completed soon.
ITEM #8 State of
ITEM #9 Coast Guard
Auxiliary Issues – No issues at this time.
ITEM #10 Announcements
annual Memorial Boat Parade will close the Maritime Week on
Scott Osborn has invited HOST to attend a meeting on May 20 to review a new
product called a Personal Locator Beacon. If anyone is interested, please let
reported that next month is the 100th anniversary of the TransPac
Executive Board Meeting:
General Membership Meeting: