Back to Archive

Hawaii Ocean Safety Team   

Advisory Board Meeting

May 8, 2008 (3:00 pm)

Hawaii Yacht Club

 

Warren Ditch Jr.                                                       Jasmin Parker

Bob Heidrich                                                             Arlen Walsten                                  

Robin Bond                                                              Brad Rimell

Chris Woolaway                                                       Lt. Jeff Taylor

Scott Cunningham                                                  Paula Carroll                                   

Terry Rice                                                                  Ann Stevens

 

1.    1500 (3:00 pm) Call to order – Robin Bond called the meeting to order.

 

2.    Approval of last Board and Membership meeting minutes. No minutes to approve at this meeting

 

3.    Treasurer’s Report – Chris - $2,863.56 in checking

 

4.    April 17, 2008 Membership Meeting Critique

 

Brad Rimell reported that the Marine Education Center meeting room has been reduced 25% in back of room area for computer equipment.  He suggested that there may be need to include more preparation time before the meetings. Robin will follow up with the Center. The presentations went well although the attendance was less than normal.

 

Robin said that had talked to Jeff Walters before the meeting to discuss the issue of whales harassing boaters, and he said that the Sanctuary is aware of the problem and that they are looking into some alternatives that might discourage whales from bothering boaters. 

 

5.  June 19, 2008 Membership Meeting Topics possible topics:

           

a. Lt. Parker mentioned that Six (06) pack vessels harassing/herding whales on Leeward side of Oahu

b. LPG Barge regulations for security zones should be approved by June 19th LPG’s (Vessels with liquid petroleum gas) US Coast Guard Regulations one mile CPA (closest point of approach) at sea.  The security zone is one mile when under way and 100 yards when vessels are at a MTSA facility.

c. Robin will update on the Harbor Safety Conference

d. Regional Exam Center moving approved and new time line

e. TWIC backed up (include in announcements)

f. Review of HOST SOPs. An open panel to discuss issues from the floor

g. Monument Management Plan - Chris will contact Russell Reardon to present an overview and answer questions

h. Scuttling the Fishing Vessel “ROBIN” - Investigation is still going on-the Coast Guard did not give permission for at sea disposal

Contact Robin with any other suggested topics

 

6.    Pending HOST Issues:

 

a. SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Vessel Visiting Offshore Port Anchorages –Kim not here but there was a HOST letter going to Nancy Murphy.

b. Tug Assistance - Scott said the redraft of the rules are with the deputy attorney general.  The rules are more in line with the HOST SOP and Pilots concerns. The Superferry needs a tug for the barge used at the pier. DOT has made recommendations that they try to duplicate what YB did on Molokai buffering the wave effects.

c. Harbor Congestion - Brad said he met with the new Industry Advisory Committee and they are addressing harbor congestion, so the recommendation was to take this issue off of HOST’s agenda for the time being. There was also discussion about industry’s relationship with the Coast Guard.  Issues brought up were questions about Harbor control authority, and communications with mariners in and out of the Harbor.  The Capt. will be following up with Mike Formby.

 

7.    Old Business

 

a. Meeting with Lahaina Harbor Staff - Robin reported an informal meeting with Hal Silva and his staff to discuss the designated use of VHF Channel 68, for shore-to-vessels tendering from passenger vessels. Operations seemed to be going smoothly

 

b. Flare disposal meeting - Lt. Parker reported that Flare Sub-committee meeting is tomorrow with additions of the Honolulu Fire Department to represent First Responders. The sub-committee is looking at how to dispose of flares and ammunition and educating public on proper disposal.

 

8.         New Business - Robin reported that Neil had suggested producing a boat/whale public service announcement.  There was discussion about the dangers of fishing within the migratory patterns.  Robin will follow up with Neil.

 

9.         US Coast Guard Concerns included in the above.

 

10.       State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR)  DOT’s are included above no representative from DLNR

 

11.       Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues – John Regan is home but still recovering so Ed Lott is assigned to represent the Auxiliary at the HOST meetings.  We all wish John a speedy recovery.

 

12.       NOAA – Costal Survey – LT. Jeff Taylor

            Lt. Jeff Taylor discussed the new NOAA charts and that this information is in new local Notice to Mariners.

 

      13.       Announcements: Robin Bond will leave for Seattle Saturday 10th May 2008

to attend the National Harbor Safety Committee Conference

 

HOST ball caps ($12.00) & Polo Shirts ($20.00) available for purchase

 

14.       Review SOP for HOST Captain Brad Rimell of Sause Brothers suggested that everyone should review all HOST SOPs and be ready to discuss later.

           

15.       Anne Stevens reminded the Board about the Honolulu Fire Boat Issue. Last meeting the Board expressed concern and had asked Anne to write a draft letter for review. Robin will follow up with Anne and get the letter out immediately.

 

Bob mentioned that the filming of the movie “The Reef” will be happening at the Hawaii Yacht Club this week and next. 

 

16. Passenger vessels for Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL)

            Pride of Aloha and Pride of Hawaii are no longer servicing the State of Hawaii. Pride of America is the only remaining NCL vessel in Hawaii

 

Next meetings:   Advisory Board Meeting: June 5, 2008

                                    Membership Meeting: June 19, 2008

                                   

Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)