Back to Archives

HOST Advisory Board Meeting Minutes of April 19, 2001

Subject to Board Approval

 

 

Members Present:           

Robin Bond, Ed Araki, Clarence Chong, Warren Ditch, Captain Gil Kanazawa, Bill Mossman, Mike Latham, Brad Rimell, Anne Stevens, Terry White, Mark Willis, Christine Woolaway, Roy Yee. 

 

Members Absent:           

Kiwi Albrecht, Bill Anonsen, Randy Cates, Mike DeRego, Mike Duvall, Russell Rippetoe, Barry Solywoda, Charlie Stone.

 

Members Excused:           

Barbara Defranco, Sam Forbes, Tom Heberle, Michael Heisler, Giles Loftin, Terry O’Halloran, Pat Pettigrew, Charlie Pires, Jim Walsh.

   

Call to Order:              

The monthly HOST Advisory Board meeting was held on Thursday, April 19, 2001.  Robin Bond, Chair, called the meeting to order at 3:07pm, at KEMS Electric at Pier 35.

 

Minutes Approved:           

The minutes from February 15, 2001, were revised and approved. 

 

Treasurer’s Report:           

Christine Woolaway passed out copies of the HOST Checking
Account report.  Chris informed the Advisory Board that the IRS check has not cleared and that HOST has $375.77 in the bank.

 

Critique of the April Membership Meeting:                   

The meeting was well attended and the cake was good!  Robin suggested that we have a second reminder go out on the Monday before the meeting.  Robin also asked if the meeting agenda could go out earlier.  Mike asked if on the E-mail meeting notice that we include the date, place and time so it will be easier to pass it on to others.

                                                 

Status of Next Membership Meetings:               

Tom Heberle will facilitate the June 14th general membership meeting, which will cover the status of Barbers Point.  Tom wasn’t able to attend, but sent a memo to Robin about the meeting.  He doesn’t have the speakers lined up yet, but the topics he would like to cover are as follows:

1.      Future planned improvements (Army Corps and/or DOT-Harbors).

2.      The planned opening of Barbers Point Harbor to nighttime deep draft traffic (USCG)

3.      What’s new at Ko Olina (Mike Nelson and Marine Mgr.)?

4.      What’s new at the offshore moorings (TESORO or Chevron)?

 

It was also suggested that we add Lt. Cmdr. Lane Johnston to do a presentation on the Marine Exchange (a 10 min. power point).  It was decided that Capt. Kanazawa would give an update on the Asian Development Bank Conference.     

                                               

Topics for future meetings:

*   August

-An informational update on the Ehime Maru.

*    October

-John Clark’s book on Hawaii Coastal Site Names will be out in October.

 

Action:  Bill asked if Pat could follow up with the Navy to address surface, air as well as underwater potential impacts.

 

New HOST Safety Issues:               

A.     Brad Rimell brought up the April 13th incident between the SS Lurline, Tug Henry Sr., and approximately 20 Friday sailboat racers.  Brad shared the concerns of Sause and Matson.   It was decided that until the next meeting in June, an adhoc subcommittee of the Mamala Bay would be asked to convene and develop a SOP to deal with this situation.  DLNR needs to be a part of this effort.  Chris will check on the subcommittee roster and contact previous subcommittee members. 

 

B.     It was brought to HOST’s attention that there appears to be some gaps in communication between the US Coast Guard Search and Rescue and the Honolulu Fire Department, which will be addressed in a meeting that Robin will schedule with Lt. Diane Greentree and Deputy Fire Chief John Clark.  It was suggested that the City’s Ocean Safety Division be included in this meeting. 

 

C.     The Big Island is having safety issues with jet skis impacting swimmers in Kona.  There is also a problem with drift diving at Kealakekua Bay.  Captain Kanazawa will contact Lt. Mike Heisler and find out who is chairing the Kona meetings.

 

D.     The problem of kayaks and canoes in the Ala Wai Boat Harbor and Honolulu Harbor channels were discussed.  It was decided to send these issues to the subcommittee.

 

Recreational Vessel Safety Req.:                 

Bill Mossman informed the Advisory Board that there is no change on SB 216 and it appears dead for the year. 

 

Fundraising:                 

A.     Anne informed the Advisory Board that to date, she has received three

(3) $250 and one (1) $100 donation for HOST.  Warren will talk to the Hawaiian Tug and Barge about the possibility of providing a donation to HOST.  

  

B.     Robin informed the Advisory Board of the opportunity to submit proposals to the Hawaii Community Foundation (HCF) for funding.  The HCF provides grants for projects, which can include administrative costs.

 

C.     Chris informed the Advisory Board of the outreach proposal to be submitted to Jim Shoocraft’s office.  The proposal, to be completed by Robin and Bill, will be to inform the public of the use of VHF radios and EPIRB’s. 

 

D.     Robin informed the Advisory Board of Pat’s efforts to organize a silent auction at the Boat Show, to be on May 26-27, 2001 at Barber’s Point/Ko Olina.  Charlie Pires has donated a $1,000 boat haul out and Roy Yee has donated an EPIRB to be auctioned.

Action:  If anyone would like to make a donation to be auctioned, please inform Robin or Pat.

 

E.      Terry White informed the Advisory Board of funds available from the Propeller Club.  The Propeller Club has funds in the amount of $24,000 that may be available for HOST.  Terry suggested that HOST use this money to hire an Executive Director, who would be responsible to fundraise for HOST.  This position would alleviate the burden that has been placed on the HOST Advisory Board.

Action: Robin will organize a meet with Kim Beasley and Tom Collins of the Propeller Club, to discuss the possibility of HOST receiving some of the funds that are available.  

 

F.      Robin suggested the Advisory Board look for interested senior citizens and retired individuals who may be willing to volunteer time to support HOST’s administrative efforts.  This could be a viable alternative for HOST to consider.  

 

G.     The proposal submitted by Hector Venegas was discussed.  Robin informed the Advisory Board that he has received a proposal from Hector Venegas regarding funding efforts on behalf of HOST, which contained a two-prong approach to fundraising. 

Action:  Robin and Brad will review the Venegas proposal, consider alternative options and report back to the Advisory Board at the next meeting.

 

Board Membership:           

A.     Robin informed the Advisory Board of the meeting he had with the Commodores Association.  The Commodores asked Susan Harper (HYRA) and Stan Radlo (HCA) to represent the Yachting industry on the HOST Advisory Board.

 

B.     Robin asked the Advisory Board to consider ways to increase the participation of unions with HOST.  It was brought up that some union groups may not always agree with others, and it may be difficult to obtain representatives from two different groups.  Robin asked the Advisory Board to think of which associations should be recommended to represent the labor industry on the HOST Board. 

 

Other Business:            

A.     Ocean Day, to be held on June 6, 2001, was discussed by the Advisory

Board.  It was suggested that Terry O’Halloran be asked if he would be willing to make a presentation at Ocean Day.

 

B.     Enid distributed to the Advisory Board a draft copy of the minutes from the April 5th General Membership meeting and the members were asked to make revisions to the document.  A copy of the revised HOST accomplishments list was also distributed. 

Action:  Each Advisory Board member was asked to review the HOST Accomplishments list to verify the maritime industry attributed to each accomplishment. 

 

C.     At the last Advisory Board meeting, a list of past Advisory Board and

General membership meetings were distributed, which contained blanks for missing documents.  Robin asked each Advisory Board member to check their files to see if they had any of the documents, and provides copies to him at the next Advisory Board meeting accomplishments.

 

Adjournment:               

The meeting was adjourned at 1755.

The next Advisory Board meeting will be on May 17 at 1500.