Back to Archive

HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM

Advisory Board Meeting

April 14, 2011 (3:00 pm)

Hawaii Yacht Club

Attendance:

 

Tom Collins                           LT Kyle Ryan                                    Warren B. Ditch Jr.

Jim Howe                              Kimo Corstorphine                          Bob Heidrich

Brad Rimell                           Ed Lott                                                CDR Jason Neubauer

Naomi Wasano                    Chris Woolaway                               Roland Zwicky        

Robin Bond                          Michael Cantin                                 Terry Rice

Paula Carroll                                    Jeff Raiford                                      

 

1.            Call to Order by Robin Bond at 1500 (3:00 pm) There was a quorum

 

2.         Approval of the Minutes of last meeting. As there was a quorum the March 10th Advisory Board meeting minutes as circulated were approved.

 

3.            Treasurer’s Report – Chris reported that there is $2,147.03 in the checking account.  We have filed the Domestic nonprofit Corporation Annual Report with State and we will be filing the 990 later this month.

 

4.            Second Maui Representative – Michael Collins (Hawaii Boats & Yachts). Robin reported that Michael would like to join the HOST Advisory Board and expand the Host participation on Maui.  Robin will have Jim Walsh and Michael work together and Jason Neubauer was asked to put the Coast Guard on Maui in touch with Michael. Brad mentioned that this would represent mainly the recreational boating as the commercial representatives are in Honolulu.  The Board agreed. Congratulations, Mike!

 

5.                          Topics for the April 28, 2011 HOST Membership Meeting - Panel Discussion of the recent Tsunami. Robin outlined the panel:

DLNR: Ed Underwood

State Harbors: Randy Grune

DOCARE: (?)

USCG: Jason Neubauer

Pacific Tsunami Center: Gerard Fryer

Pacific Island fisheries Group:  Neil Kanemoto

State Civil Defense: Ed Teixeira

City Civil Defense: John Cummings

Recreational Boat Owner: Bob Broderick (Ala Wai)

Harbor Pilots:  Ed Enos or Steve Baker

Association of Broadcasters: Chris Leonard (?)

K59: (?)

 

The following list of possible topics for the panel was suggested:

A Tsunami preparedness Brochure (Chris mentioned that she had done a Manual for Boating some time ago which should be on their website, she will follow up.)

Designated Staging areas evacuation areas (Commercial vs. Recreational)

Improved communication (VHF and Am Radio communication)

Permanent offshore moorage in case of extreme damage

Volunteer response force

ATT and other communication overload

 

Topic for June 23rd Meeting = Hurricane Season Preparedness – Michael Cantin

Presentation on the Japan Tsunami Debris (Chris will contact Nikolai Maximenko to do a presentation.

 

6.         Pending HOST Safety Issues

a.    Flare disposal project – Chris is still waiting to hear back from Covanta to set up a meeting.  Chris has talked to S. California Sea Grant Extension Director Jim Fawcett and they are very interested in the process we are working on.

 

b.    Alpha dive flags on dive boats: Neil was not in attendance so no update.

 

7.         Old Business  

a.    Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris.  Reported that rewiring the electricity for the ship is going on. The mooring lines (2) are being replaced.  The Friends will be submitting a proposal to Saving America’s Treasurers if their funding comes through.

b.    2011 Joint Harbor Safety and Area Maritime Security Committee Conference – June 2011.  Robin is following this, however he still is unsure whether we will be sending a representative as the topics are security focused.

c.    San Francisco Harbor Safety Summit Robin briefed the Board on this suggested regional safety summit that will be held this Fall, he will keep us posted.

d.    Ocean Expo:  Robin reported that the Expo was well attended and that the CG Aux folks were a big help especially the Mr. & Mrs. Briggs. Thanks also to Chris, Linden and Lanky  Morrill for helping man the booth.

e.    Keehi Lagoon Civil Defense Disaster Assistance and Recovery Program.  Jason reported that there is a listening session on related security issues and he is attending.

 

8.         New Business

                     a.   NOAA Hydrographic Services Review Panel on May 4th-6th: May 4th & 5th from 8:00 a.m.-5:30 pm.  May 6th from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and is being held at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, 2552 Kalakaua Ave., Honolulu.  Check this web site for more information:  http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/ocs/hsrp/hsrp.htm.  There is a one-to-one meeting on May 3rd Kyle has the information.

 

9.         USCG Concerns - Jason passed along the thanks to HOST and specifically Kim for the copies of the tendering video. It was greatly appreciated.

 

10.       State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR) No State Representatives in Attendance.

 

11.       Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues:  Ed Lott discussed the challenges for Safe Boating Week and the UPV training.

 

12.       NOAA Issues – Kyle’s e-mail about David Kennedy.  This meeting has been cancelled. 

Weather Service - Michael Cantin reported the Weather Service could help HOST in getting safe boating messages out through their network.  We need to work on the messages.

 

13.       Power Squadron Issues; Naomi had previously introduced Jeff Raiford as the new Power Squadron Commander. She also mentioned the NASBLA Certification Instructor returning to Honolulu. 

 

14.       Ocean Safety – Jim Howe had no major concerns at this time.

 

15.       Announcements: Naomi mentioned the Earth Day Cleanup of the Ala Wai.  Chris suggested that she talk with Michelle Pendleton who organizes Ala Wai Cleanups on behalf of the Waikiki YC. Chris also can help with some supplies and will follow up as this is also the time of the Great American Cleanup organized by Keep America Beautiful and Keep the Hawaiian Islands Beautiful.

 

16.       Next Meetings:       Advisory Board Meeting: May 12, 2011

                                              Membership Meeting: April 28, 2011                                          

 

17.       Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)