Back to Archive

HOST Advisory Board Meeting

 

April 10, 2008

 

Randy Swindell                                                       Jasmin Parker

Bob Heidrich                                                             Kim Beasley                         

Robin Bond                                                              Brad Rimell

Jeff Conners                                                             Lt. Jeff Taylor

Bill Mossman                                                                        Paula Carroll                                   

Neil Kanemoto                                                         Ann Stevens

 

Introductions.   

 

Robin introduced Mr. Chris Ostrander, the Regional Coordinator, Hawaiian Islands Pacific Islands Integrated Ocean Observing System.  He asked the Advisory Board Members to introduce themselves.

 

AGENDA ITEM #1    Call to Order

 

 Robin called the meeting to order.   A quorum was present.

  

AGENDA ITEM #2     Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.

 

Minutes for the last meeting were not ready to be presented for discussion and approval.

 

AGENDA ITEM #3    Treasurer’s Report

 

Chris Woolaway was unable to attend.  Current funds total $3,125.36     Recent income includes $181.00 for hats and shirts.    $146.95 was spent on the website domain name.

 

 AGENDA ITEM #4    Chris Ostrander Presentation

 

He is the Regional Coordinator for a project under the University of Hawaii, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology project to study and observe the coastal water quality, ecosystems health, including large fishes and corals, ocean state and forecasting including current patterns, wave expectations and circulation patterns.    The idea is to gather information from many sources and combine it into a web-driven Hawaii Ocean Atlas to provide user-defined, relevant and accessible data products.    They work to gather and present the background information and make it accessible to end users to increase their efficiencies.    They are trying to pull in information from many sources and fill in gaps, and make it available to end users.   He is here today to begin to let end users know about the potentials of this effort for end users.   They are hoping to model their capabilities after the U.S. Weather Service including increasingly detailed ocean information     For more information contact their website at <SOEST.Hawaii.edu\HiOOS>.

 

AGENDA ITEM #5    Next Membership Meeting Topics

 

•           Hurricane Preparedness Briefing  -  USCG

 

            •           Search & Rescue Mission for the lost kayaker off Kauai - USCG

 

•           2007 – 2008 Whale season highlights

 

•           Non-tank vessels response plans – USCG

 

•           Noise abatement bill discussion  -  May not be available

 

•           Tug Assist Status – State Harbors  -  nobody available at the meeting

 

AGENDA ITEM #5    Pending HOST Safety Issues

 

•           SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Ships visiting Offshore Port Anchorages - Kim is sending the proposed SOP 7-98 consideration language to Nancy Murphy for her opinion on the proposed changes before discussing the details with the General Membership.

 

•           Tug Assist SOP for the neighbor islands.    Nothing new at this time.  The final draft is at the Attorney General’s office for review.  We are hoping for approval to go to public hearing in the early fall timeframe.

 

•           Harbor Congestion  -  Nothing new to report.   There doesn’t seem to be an interest on the part of State Harbors to seek a resolution or discuss this actively.    Without their participation very little can be accomplished.    Congestion is an issue both in Honolulu Harbor, where the Aloha Tower controllers have limited visibility, and Kahului, where there are conflicts for entering the harbor in the morning.    Perhaps we can hold a meeting of end users and the State Harbors to at least highlight the problems.

 

AGENDA ITEM #7    Old Business

 

•           VHF Radio concerns at Lahaina -  According to Hal Silva the issue of using the Channel 68 is being approved   This information is on the internet and broadcast to mariners.   The Captain of the Port and Mr. Underwood of DOBOR have signed off on this procedure so it is officially approved.

 

 AGENDA ITEM #8  New Business

 

•           Security Zone revision pamphlets are in the works.   For LPG tankers their is a provision in the works to put a 1,000 yard Security Zone around the vessel when it is under way outside the Harbor.  Once it is in the Harbor it would be a 100 feet on the outboard side of the barge.   This is in the draft stage.    Once this and other small provisions have been finalized it will be included in the new pamphlets expected to be out by the end of summer.

 

•           Ann Stevens pointed out to the Advisory Board that the Moku Ahi has an engine out.    They have decided to replace the engine but for two to three months Honolulu Harbor has no fire fighting capability.     She thinks that HOST should raise a concern to State Harbors that there should be some type of back up plan.   Kim Beasley agreed to work with Ann to draft a letter suggesting that a plan be prepared that if nothing else, could identify alternative interim resources.

 

•           Neil Kanemoto raised some concern that Whales are becoming more curious and comfortable with small fishing vessels.   He believes that we are seeing an increase in attracted whale behavior that could threaten boaters.    Robin pointed out that he wasn’t sure what could be done but suggested that he bring it up to the Whale people at the next general meeting.   Robin also pointed out it is not just fishing vessels.    It was suggested that perhaps we need to document these close calls.    People are not willing the report close calls because it would appear to be harrassment.

           

 

AGENDA ITEM #8   USCG Concerns

 

•           Nothing at this time.

 

AGENDA ITEM #9   -   State of Hawaii Concerns  (DOT Harbors and DLNR)

 

•           Nobody from Harbors was present.

 

AGENDA ITEM #10  -  Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues

 

•           John Regan was absent due to recent injuries.

 

AGENDA ITEM #11  -  Announcements:

 

•           Pacific Beach and the Pagoda Hotels are asking for assistance in boycotting these enterprises until they agree to discuss a new  contract.

 

•           Flare disposal is still an issue.  Right now there is no easy answer. The USCG is still looking into this.

 

NEXT MEETINGS

 

General Membership Meeting:

 

April 17th,  2:00 pm,  Honolulu Community College Maritime Training Center.

 

Advisory Board Meeting:

 

            May 8th,   3:00 pm,   Hawaii Yacht Club located in

            the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor.