HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting
April 8, 2010 (3:00 pm)
Oy Branum Paula Carroll Frank Lange
Capt. Barry Compagnoni Warren B. Ditch Jr., Ed Lott
LCDR Marcella Granquist Bill Mossman Randy Swindell
CDR Jason Neubauer LCDR Jeff Taylor Mark Winslow
Chris Woolaway Kym Moikeha Tambry R. Young
Luana Froiseth Ed Underwood Janet Mandrell
1. The meeting was called to order by Robin Bond, HOST Chair at (3:00 pm)
2. Approval of the Minutes of last meeting. A quorum was present but there were no previous minutes available for approval.
3. Treasurer’s Report – Chris reported that there is $2,882.28 in the checking account.
4. Topics for the April 15 HOST Membership Meeting
a. Ala Wai – Status of State plans – Doug Smith
b. Falls of Clyde update – Bruce McEwan will give a short update.
c. Coast Pilot and buoy system update – LCDR Jeff Taylor
d. Flare disposal equipment update – Cliff was not in attendance so we are unsure
as to the current status other than that the State is concerned about who would take the responsibility of overseeing this equipment. The Subcommittee needs to proceed.
e. Other suggested topics: Marine Events new rules: Panel discussion about the new
rules for racing especially in harbor channels and additional charges for event
organizers. USCG and DLNR Boating will take the lead in this discussion.
5. Pending HOST Safety Issues
a. Flare disposal project – Chris no update at this point.
b. Alpha dive flags on dive boats – Neil was not in attendance. The discussion focused on the fact that this is still an issue. The rule is if you are diving from a boat you need to have two flags – a blue/white Alpha and red dive flag. This is a federal law.
6. Old Business
a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris reported that the court date for the Pfeiffer funds release is set for April 29th. The Friends of Falls of Clyde are putting in a Saving America’s Treasures proposal. The plan is that this proposal if funded will go a long way to accomplish the repairs before and during dry dock. The safety issues addressed earlier have not been resolved.
b. Update Advisory Board. Domestic and Foreign shipping industries. Ocean Recreation/Recreational Boaters improvement no new information reported
c. Need to review and update SOPs we have a total of 11 SOPs that need to be reviewed. All the Sops are on our website. The Board is asked to review them for next meeting.
7. New Business
a. Koko Marina Boating Fun Fest – Saturday, May 15 (9am – 3pm) Robin will be setting up a HOST information table and folks are asked to come and participate as National Safe Boating Week is being observed.
8. USCG Concerns: There was a great deal of discussion about the marine events permit and the rules and fees. There were a lot of concerns expressed by the guests and the decision was to add this topic to our General Meeting on April 15th.
9. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR): DOBOR also participated in the discussions about the marine events permit issues. Robin mentioned that Cliff has assisted HOST with production of flyers.
10. Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues: The discussion about paddle boards and the definition of the “surf line”. Evidentially a definition is not possible so it is difficult to write rules.
11. NOAA Issues: Jeff alerted HOST to three new charts that are free to download from their website: The chart number are: 19353 (Molokai); 19361 (Waianae); & 19382 (Port Allen)
12. Power Squadron Issues: The Power Squadron’s OTW training is now insured for $3 million per trip. This is something the Power Squadron has been working on for a long time.
13. Announcements: None
14. Next Meetings: Advisory Board Meeting: May 13, 2010
Membership Meeting: April 15, 2010
15. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)