Hawaii Ocean Safety Team
Advisory Board Meeting
March 13, 2008 (3:00 pm)
CDR Kathy Moore Randy Swindell
Bob Heidrich Chris Woolaway
Robin Bond Kimo Corstorphine
Anne Stevens Paula Carroll
Bill Mossman Jeff Conners
Bill Davis Rich Davison
1. 1500 (3:00 pm) Call to order – Introductions
Robin called the meeting to order at 3:03 PM
2. Approval of last Board and Membership meeting minutes
There was a quorum so the minutes were approved.
3. Treasurer’s Report – Chris
Chris reported that there is $2,973.31 in the checking account.
4. Critique of February 21 Membership Meeting
Everyone felt that the meeting was productive. It was decided that Robin would write a letter to HCC with HOST’s appreciation for the meeting support and many thanks for the meeting room improvements. It made the presentations for the meeting so much better. The TWIC presentation went well.
5. April 17, 2008 Membership Meeting Topics
a. Whale Session presentation Robin will contact the Sanctuary for a yearly report and presentation.
b. The CG getting ready for more stringent enforcement of “non-tank” vessel response plans since there have been a number of groundings: Kathy Moore will arrange the speaker
c. Ann Stevens brought up the recurring issue about complaints of harbor noise from those in waterfront condos
d. Legislative Report (Harbor Master the Authority)
6. Pending HOST Issues:
a. SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Vessel Visiting Offshore Port Anchorages – Kim
b. Tug Assistance – Scott Cunningham reported that the Tug Assistance rules are with the Attorney General.
c. Harbor Congestion – Brad\Tom
Robin reported that Kim sent a letter for his review addressed to Nancy Murphy saying that since there is not a consensus then HOST will not make any changes to the SOP. The Board felt that we had given it our best shot.
7. Old Business
a. HOST Advisory Board Members – Canoe/Other = Recreational Boating?
Robin proposed that Capt. Paula Carroll (Ret.) become a formal member of the Advisory Board representing canoe paddling sitting with the Recreational Boating interests. It was agreed. We still need to have additional representation for foreign fishing & domestic shipping, Robin with check with Jeff Brennan about Horizon.
b. HSC Conference – http://www.trb.org/conference/2008/HSC/
Robin reported that Brad may not be able to go to the conference.
c. Industry Day – February 27, 2008 – USCG Update
Robin and Kathy discussed the conference and all felt that it was a “4 Star Event” and was sector specific. The topic was Small Passenger Vessels and about 70 people attended the all day event. Kathy mentioned that if there is topics that folks would like to be addressed in this venue let her know.
d. HOST still has caps ($12.00) and shirts ($20.00) for sale. Let Bob Heinrich know if you are interested.
e. Flare Sub Committee: Jasmin will set up the meeting. Robin did check with the City Refuse and we will include the city representative in the meeting.
8. New Business
a. Spiritual Services for Seamen – Efrain Andrews solicited HOST’s help in finding out what the spiritual needs might be for domestic and foreign seaman also how can it be best provided? The proposed program is expected to start small with a center projected in the future. Efrain was advised that the port calls at Barber’s Point are usually longer and that the ship agents unions and might be some help in determining the need. Efrain also mentioned that they do “home visits” which means going aboard the vessel. Some ports have a program of “take a mariner to church” though this might be a problem with visas.
b. VHF Radio concerns at Lahaina – Rich Davison and Lt. Jensen mentioned the problem in Lahaina with confusion over channels being used. Kathy Moore’s “tasker” is to follow up with identification and to also get a copy of the DVD from Robin for Hal.
c. Canoe Issue in Maunalua Bay congestion at the ramp, the suggestion is to contact Gene Ward. The coaches need to educate their paddlers: This is a Paula “tasker” she will follow up.
9. United States Coast Guard Concerns: No additional concerns
10. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR): Oahu District Manger suggests that the HOST Explosive Handling in Oahu and Neighbor Island Ports be updated. Robin will get a copy to Kathy of the SOP
11. Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues – John Regan not available
12. NOAA – Costal Survey – LT. Jeff Taylor not available
13. Announcements: Bill Mossman updated the Board on the Ballast Water Legislation that Boat US has been working hard in Congress to address. Bill mentioned the reply from Sen. Inouye in response to his correspondence that the bill is not dead yet but folks that are interested should get in touch with their Congressional Delegation. For more information folks can contact Bill.
14. Next meetings: Advisory Board Meeting: April 10, 2008
Membership Meeting: April 17, 2008
15. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)