HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM
Advisory Board Meeting
January 13, 2011 (3:00 pm)
Randy Swindell Tom Collins Chris Woolaway
Brad Rimell Kimo Corstorphine Bob Heidrich
CDR Bob McFarland CDR Jason Neubauer Ed Underwood
Jim Howe Robin Bond
1. Call to Order 1500 (3:00 pm) by Robin Bond. No quorum present
2. Approval of the Minutes of last meeting. Deferred
3. Treasurer’s Report – Chris Woolaway
Chris reported that HOST has $2,147.03 in the checking account. No further discussion.
4. Topics for the February 17, 2011 HOST Membership Meeting
a. Slipper Island Cleanup: Matt Bickel will give presentation
b. Harbor User Guide: USCG
c. Range light technology: Jason Neubauer
d. Kewalo management plans update: Kewalo Harbor Master (Robin will contact)
5. Pending HOST Safety Issues
a. Flare disposal project – Chris and Robin will deliver another larger sample for Covanta to dispose of to get a better understanding of the process involved.
b. Alpha dive flags on dive boats – Neil: no report.
6. Old Business
a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris: The Friends are still waiting on the word for the Saving America’s Treasurers Grant. The ship has alarms installed.
b. 2011 Joint Harbor Safety and Area Maritime Security Committee Conference – June 2011: Brad discussed the current program and that the focus is currently 60% on security and 40% on harbor safety, so the overall benefit for HOST may not be worth the cost.
c. Sailboat Races: Bob H. was asked if there were any problems he will check with the race committee and update the Board.
d. SOP 12-10: Discussion centered around about getting the word out on the SOP. Ray Pendleton needs a heads up as well as the Ala Wai Yacht club newsletter. Bob H. will alert the commodores. Robin and Chris will see if Cliff can help get the word out.
7. New Business
a. Boating safety issues for 2011: Jim Howe brought up the current concerns for harbor safety of Kewalo with the mixed use of the recreational, commercial operators along with surfers. It was decided to have the Harbor master discuss the current plans.
b. Wave runners/jet skis off shore marine debris cleanup: The request for help on a cleanup off shore was discussed. The request for a cleanup will need to go to DLNR for an event permit. Chris will report back to Shawn Brown who generated the request.
c. Next HOST Board meeting will be held at the Fusion Center
8. USCG Concerns: Security planning for APEC Nov. 12th & 13th outreach is going on the yacht race committees need to be aware of the activities as they and others will be impacted.
9. State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR): No DOT representation. Ed Underwood (DLNR) discussed a check list for sailing schools. Etiquette for stand ups specifically in Hilo surf breaks was discussed as there have already been injuries. Ala Moana has provided a test case with voluntary compliance with education. Regarding the State Legislature there will be a rules package and an “Impound Bill” making the owner still liable for costs amending the current legislation. Concerns were discussed regarding Lahaina-Sand Bar in the channel.
10. Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues: A new representative needs to be assigned to HOST.
11. NOAA Issues: No representation
12. Power Squadron Issues: No representation
13. Announcements: Ocean Safety mentioned that there is good South shore surf.
14. Next Meetings: Advisory Board Meeting: February 10, 2011
Membership Meeting: February 17, 2011
15. Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)