Back to Archive

HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM

 ADVISORY BOARD MEETING

 

January 13, 2005

 


Kim Beasley                                                              LCDR Ann DeYoung

John Regan                                                               Tom Heberle

Bob Heidrich                                                             Chris Woolaway

Susan Harper                                                            Brad Rimell

Robin Bond                                                                Jeff Conners

Randy Swindell                                                          Troy Brown                                                                

Captain Terry Rice (Ret.)                                         Kimo Corstorphine

LCDR Rick Raksnis                                                 Bill Mossman

Kevin Kinerney                                                          Ed McCain

Charlie Toguchi                                                         Don Habeger

Tom Dow                                                                   Domenico Tringale

Cees Deelstra                                                           Patrick Shaw

LTJG Quincey Adams                                              Barry Kim

CDR Patrick Gerrity

           

 

INTRODUCTIONS

 

A number of guests were present so Robin asked that everyone introduce themselves.

 

AGENDA ITEM #1    Call to Order

 

            Robin called the meeting to order.    A quorum was present.

 

AGENDA ITEM #2      Approval of the Minutes of last meeting.

 

            After a brief discussion the minutes were approved by consensus.

 

AGENDA ITEM #3    Treasurer’s Report

 

Chris Woolaway reported that we have a total of $1,338.90.  The Propeller Club donated $250.   Robin thanked everyone that worked so hard on the Christmas Party.   

 

AGENDA ITEM #4    HOST Christmas Party Critique

 

Robin asked if anyone had any comments regarding the Christmas Party.   Chris Woolaway suggested that we poll some of the similar groups to make sure that they are not having their parties on the same night.    Currently we are scheduled for December 8th, 2005 .

 

AGENDA ITEM #5    Next Membership Meeting Topics   ( February 17, 2005 )

 

                       Card Tracking Program   -  Kim

           Harbor Congestion panel discussion  -  Kim will arrange to get a panel together to identify talking points for the panel’s presentation.   Anyone wanting to be on the panel please let Kim know.    Jeff Connors, Kevin Kinerney, Tom Heberle, Terry Rice and Ed McCain volunteered.

 

           Security Zone presentation  -  USCG Quincy Adams

 

AGENDA ITEM #6    SOP 3-97 – Tugboat Assistance in Neighbor Island Ports

           

Robin introduced Charles Toguchi who briefed the attendees on a meeting held by State Harbors on a number of issues.    Topics included Port Security and Tug Boat assistance.    To follow up on the tugboat issue Mr. Cees Deelstra of Holland America Lines pointed out that the current language in SOP 3-97 does not take into account a number changes that have occurred in the cruise industry over the last several years.   With the departure of the Independence and Constitution we are now seeing a new breed of ship entering the Hawaii market.   New ships are larger, perhaps even larger than the current tugboats are capable of assisting.  (Too small)   Also new cruise ships have multiple thrusters that can do the same job as a small tug. He also pointed out that certain smaller tugs can even be a hindrance in maneuvering large ships.

 

Mr. Ed McCain of HT&B expressed his doubts that any asset that can assist in close to shore maneuvering could be considered a hindrance.     They do recognize that the tug currently stationed in Hilo is small.    They have a business plan that is being put into place that will provide a larger “tractor” drive tug for Hilo .      These tugs are on location to provide harbor assistance.     In Hawaii we often live on last minute delivery schedules.    One day of disruption can have critical impacts on deliveries of dry goods and oil.      If the tugs are not supported they are likely to be transferred elsewhere.

 

Tom Heberle of the Hawaii Pilots Association pointed out that even though there are new technologies available they are complicated technologies that can have problems.    The question is what level of risk the community is willing to take.   One problem can shut down the only port.

 

Mr. Deelstra pointed out that they operate in many areas including the Houston Shipping Channel and many smaller ports that don’t require tug assistance.   It doesn’t seem to make sense that Hawaii should have such a requirement especially when the asset that is available is really inadequate for the job.

 

Robin stopped the discussion at this point to explain how HOST operates.    Essentially, we now have a formal request to look at this issue.   The next step is to form a subcommittee to look at the SOP to see if changes may be required.   Troy Brown volunteered to head a committee to review the SOP.

 

Updates may include a look at language that talks about more than one tug.  Also it should include a look at the requirements for Honolulu Harbor which are now not in the SOP.    These are things the subcommittee needs to look at.       

Terry Rice pointed out that there are really three topics that are closely related.   One is Kim’s panel on Harbor Congestion.    The second is the Tug Assist SOP and the third is the Cruise Ship anchoring SOP.     When reviewing these topics we will find that they are  closely related.

 

AGENDA ITEM #7    Security Zone Presentation  -  LTJG Quincey Adams (USCG)

 

LCDR  Ann DeYoung (USCG) pointed out that the Coast Guard is not prepared to make a presentation today but should be ready to make a presentation at the next Board Meeting.    Captain Rice asked whether more work needs to be completed on how we are going to notify the average boater on changes to the Security Zones enforcement.    Some work has been done on this on the Area Maritime Security Committee.  The USCG is very willing to work on this subject with others so that we are not reinventing the wheel.

 

AGENDA ITEM #8    Pending HOST Safety Issues


            •           SOP 6-98 Commercial VHF Comms.   Hector

Venegas was absent so could not report on VHF Comms.

 

           Safety at Sea Subcommittee.  -  Susan Harper had to run so Robin Bond informed everyone that our first Safety at Sea Seminar will be held next Saturday (the 22nd).    It will be four hours long.    Currently we have 11 people signed up.    This group was started by Rick Shema and Susan Harper.    If this initial effort is successful we may want to take it to other locations and even the neighbor islands.   Kim made up brochures but we have also had both news and radio coverage.   

 

           Kawaihae Harbor Tug and Barge Safety  -  Robin

Nothing new on this.  

 

           SOP 9-98 Use of Seafarer’s Hall for tempo shelter  -   Robin has sent out the draft of the altered SOP authored by Terry Rice.   Please let him know if we have comments.   Hearing none he will take it to the General Membership.

 

           SOP 7-98 Multiple Cruise Vessel Visiting Offshore Port   -   To be handled by Congestion Subcommittee

 

AGENDA ITEM #9    USCG Concerns  -  LCDR Ann DeYoung said that there are no new issues from the USCG.    Terry Rice introduced CDR Pat Gerrity who is in charge of Inspections.    Robin asked him if he would sign in and give us his contact information we will send him any announcements regarding future meeting.

 

AGENDA ITEM #10    State of Hawaii Concerns

 

Barry Kim spoke to the issue of different standards of security regulations between State Harbors and TSA.    “Toy” guns are currently falling through the cracks in this regulatory confusion.

 

They are asking the Legislature to fund full time Security personnel for each harbor.   Unfortunately there is no funding for bodies coming out of the Federal Government.  

 

AGENDA ITEM #11    Coast Guard Auxiliary Issues  -  John Regan reported that they had no issues.

 

AGENDA ITEM #12    Announcements

 

           Please make any comments on the “Inspection of Tugboats” material that we sent out.

 

           Old Flares  -  For those of you who were interested in how to dispose of out-of-date emergency flares,  the answer is to soak them in water for several days and then throw them away in your rubbish container.

 

           Chris Woolaway suggested that HOST consider giving a HOST Commendation Award to a Hawaii resident who saved many lives by canceling his submarine tour just prior to the Tsunami.    Chris will follow up on this.       

 

Robin asked if there were any further comments.   Hearing none he adjourned the meeting.

 

NEXT MEETINGS

 

Executive Board Meeting:

 

February 10th,    3:00 pm ,   Hawaii Yacht Club located in the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor .

 

General Membership Meeting:

 

February 17th,   2:00 pm ,   Honolulu Community College Marine Training Facility.   

 

 

HOST WEBSITE:    www.hosthawaii.org