Back to Archive

HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TEAM

Advisory Board Meeting

January 12, 2012 (3:00 pm)

Hawaii Yacht Club

Meeting Notes

 

 

Attendance:

 

Michael Cantin                                 Sparkie Ewing                                  Tom Collins

CDR Jason Neubauer                    Warren B. Ditch Jr.                          Brad Rimell

Naomi Wasano                                Roland Zwicky                                 Chris Woolaway      

Darren Bullock                                 Tim McKeague                                 Skippy Sweet

Anne Stevens                                  Robin Bond 

 

1.        Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Robin Bond at 1500 (3:00 pm)

 

2.        Approval of the minutes of last meeting: A quorum was not present.  December Board minutes had been approved with corrections.  

 

3.        Treasurer’s Report – Chris Woolaway reported that there is $1,866.07 in the bank account.  We started in December with $2,225.07 and the bill for the Hawaii Yacht Club was $859.16.  We took in donations from the Hawaii Pilots, Joyce Miller and Rick Shema, Weatherguy.com totaling $500.  The Party went well although there were a few problems of scheduling that Bob took care of.  The HOST Board thanked all the folks that had given donations and gifts for the Christmas party.  It made for a great event of which we had an attendance of over 50.  December 13, 2012 is the next HOST Christmas Party.

 

4.        Topics for the February HOST Membership Meeting

         a. Anne suggested that PASHA can make a presentation on their new roll off ship.  Anne will follow up with PASHA.

         b. Naomi had suggested the Tahiti TransPac Race might be interesting - Naomi reported that this race has been cancelled because of a lack of participants.

         c. Humpback Whale presentation on what’s new with the whales:  A discussion followed on the whales in Honolulu Harbor. 

         d. “Share the Ocean”:  A panel will be looking at ocean safety with multiple use issues.  The State, USCG and Ocean Safety agencies will be invited.  It will be an open forum, a good opportunity to identify safety concerns that could be incorporated in the NOAA Weather Service suggestion for an organized Ocean Safety Week.  Robin will follow up.

 

5.        Pending HOST Safety Issues

         a. Flare disposal project – Chris and Arlen Walsten:  Arlen is ready to start; Chris will follow up with Arlen to be sure Covanta is on board.

 

6.        Continuing HOST Business  

         a. Falls of Clyde safety issues and general update – Chris reported that the Fall’s 133rd Birthday party went well. The program included a video by Tom Roesser, a Punahou Senior that has been volunteering on the Falls.  The Friends will be launching a capital campaign, as dry dock needs to be done this year. The Friends are also working in hiring a part time Project Ship Manager.  

         b. Marine debris from the Japan tsunami:  Chris passed around the recent chart of the debris model.  It has been observed with the currents as they are that Midway may not be the first landfall.  It has been reported in the press that possible debris from the tsunami may have come ashore in Washington State.  The recovered debris is being identified with partners in Japan and N. Pacific fisheries.

         c. Brad gave a brief update of the recent planning telephone call regarding this year’s National Harbor Safety Conference in Pittsburgh.

 

7.        New Business

         a. Recent snorkeling incident off Lahaina is being investigated. DLNR is coming to a resolution on the investigation of the boater that ran over the swimmer.

         b. Neil Kanemoto had sent an e-mail regarding the width of the tow line being used by the USCG. A discussion took place and it was agreed that generally, the USCG would continue to use their current size lines and it is up to the operator of the boat being towed to fashion a bridle or otherwise secure it to their vessel.

         c. Robin reported that Jim Walsh from Atlantis on Maui is updating the SOP on the tendering operation at Lahaina.

        

8.        USCG Concerns:  A discussion about the Kaunakakai security zone (will be out 01/13/2012) and the preparations for cruise ship visits will be completed.  

 

9.        State of Hawaii Concerns (DOT Harbors and DLNR):  Anne Stevens is now a Marine cargo specialist for DOT Harbors.  She will be coming to the HOST meetings in that capacity.

 

10.     Coast Guard Auxiliary and Power Squadron Issues:  Nothing additional.

 

11.     NOAA Issues;  Mike mentioned that they would like to see a concentrated effort for ocean safety which may include  boating and information out of the February’s panel “Share the Ocean”.

 

12.        Announcements:  The 23rd Annual Symposium on the Maritime Archaeology and History of Hawaii and the Pacific is scheduled for Feb. 17-20, 2012.  The location is at: NOAA facility 6600 Kalaniana`ole Hwy Suite 302 (elevator behind central Pacific Bank to third floor POC 808-271-4187)

 

13.     Next Meetings: Advisory Board Meeting: February 9, 2012  (3:00 pm)

                                     Membership Meeting: February 16, 2012 (2:00)

        

14.     Adjourn 1700 (5:00 pm)

 

http://www.hosthawaii.org